7.3 Broken lifter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Broken lifter

I bought a 2001 F-250 that has excessive white smoke after warm up. It gets worse the longer it runs. Thinking it was an injector or O-rings I took the valve cover off to repair it. Cylinder 1 failed the contribution test. Well what I found was not what I thought was wrong. the intake valve was not opening. I could stick my finger between the push rod and rocker arm. Figuring it had wiped out the cam. I checked the cam lift for laughs and it cam out at .2535 in. Right on the money. So I tore the head off the right side to see what was up. What I found was not something that I am used to seeing. ( I work on heavy trucks ie. ISL, ISM, ISX, MP7 and E-Tech engines). The bottom 1/4 of the lifter is broke off. Roller pin and 1/4 of the body are gone. The camshaft lobe though is in great shape, no damage from what I can see.

So it seems the parts have fallen into the oil pan and I am going to drain the oil tomorrow and see what I find. Has anyone seen this before as I thought 7.3 lifters are not much of a issue in these engines. Would you fish out what you can and install a new lifter and let it go? this is going to be my truck so if anything happened it would be on my dime... Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You want a neat piece of information?

SBI International Hydraulic Valve Lifters | Northern Auto Parts

have a look at the interchange info. These lifters fit EVERYTHING.

At this point, if it was mine, I'd pull the motor and drop the pan and make sure there isn't a bunch of lifter parts in it. It would likely save you money down the road.

Odds are if you live in the rust belt it could use a pan anyhow LOL.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes , if it was a customers truck I would be pulling the engine. I would not gamble with someone else's money. If something happens its on me, so not as inclined to pull the motor but on the other hand I could give myself a pretty big bill of it tears up the engine. Choices choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.