Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 Broken lifter

10K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rp3 
#1 ·
I bought a 2001 F-250 that has excessive white smoke after warm up. It gets worse the longer it runs. Thinking it was an injector or O-rings I took the valve cover off to repair it. Cylinder 1 failed the contribution test. Well what I found was not what I thought was wrong. the intake valve was not opening. I could stick my finger between the push rod and rocker arm. Figuring it had wiped out the cam. I checked the cam lift for laughs and it cam out at .2535 in. Right on the money. So I tore the head off the right side to see what was up. What I found was not something that I am used to seeing. ( I work on heavy trucks ie. ISL, ISM, ISX, MP7 and E-Tech engines). The bottom 1/4 of the lifter is broke off. Roller pin and 1/4 of the body are gone. The camshaft lobe though is in great shape, no damage from what I can see.

So it seems the parts have fallen into the oil pan and I am going to drain the oil tomorrow and see what I find. Has anyone seen this before as I thought 7.3 lifters are not much of a issue in these engines. Would you fish out what you can and install a new lifter and let it go? this is going to be my truck so if anything happened it would be on my dime... Thoughts?

#2 ·
You want a neat piece of information?

SBI International Hydraulic Valve Lifters | Northern Auto Parts

have a look at the interchange info. These lifters fit EVERYTHING.

At this point, if it was mine, I'd pull the motor and drop the pan and make sure there isn't a bunch of lifter parts in it. It would likely save you money down the road.

Odds are if you live in the rust belt it could use a pan anyhow LOL.

#3 ·
Yes , if it was a customers truck I would be pulling the engine. I would not gamble with someone else's money. If something happens its on me, so not as inclined to pull the motor but on the other hand I could give myself a pretty big bill of it tears up the engine. Choices choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.