Won't start occasionally then died on road - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't start occasionally then died on road

So for the first time since I've had the truck, I went to start it an all it would do is crank. Added a little oil since it showed low and it fired right up. Drive it for a while, killed it and started back up. I figured that was the end of my problems. Later, I went to start it and it would crank, but no start. Added a little more oil, no help. Waited about 10 minutes, fired right up. Drove it parked it started again, maybe just a fluke? Well after that, driving down a dirt road all of a sudden dies. Crank but no start. Got it pulled home 15 minutes later started. Drove about 7 miles down the highway, died again. Already replaced cam position sensor. What else could it be?
Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by MichaelM; 11-29-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That CPS would be the first choice, next is more info on your truck maybe... What yr is it? Is the SES light on or been on?

What do you mean by "a little oil"? How low was it? Did it drop between having to add more a second time? After it dies I would look into the HPOP reservoir (little plug in the top) and "dip" it to see if it's not empty or very low.

Take a look at the IPR maybe, make sure the tin nut hasn't fallen off and the plug & wiring look OK (the insulation can crack & fall-off). It's the next Heat Related sensor failure I think of (if this is heat related).
Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's a 2002, all that is done to it is a ts 6 position. The oil had dropped some due to the oil cooler leaking when it was cold. At first, it had dropped maybe a quart under the add mark. No ses light, no codes or anything. The ipr is fine, and idk about the rest, I will have to check. Thanks man

Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 PM

I had been chasing this same problem for three months. I can't give you a definitive answer, but when I replaced the CPS, IPR and injector O-rings, the problem went away.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had heard that IPR might be causing it, and then from a friend who's a mechanic that he's seen it in the injector o rings. IPR is what I'm about to try

Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 PM

The o-rings are definitely the cheaper of the two items. Cost me about $65 for the o-rings, and $150 for the IPR. I did the o-rings in an afternoon. I have 205k on my rig and the orings came out in pieces. MAKE SURE TO look in the injector cups with a flashlight for debris. I had to pick pieces of oring out of mine.

Trust me though, having the right tools makes so much difference. A nice pry-bar, and some dental picks make a world of difference.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks man, I already have an IPR being shipped to me. So I guess if that's not it at least I have a new one there anyway lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.