7.3 coolant temp sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

 
dieseldan2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Branch, MN
Posts: 4,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 coolant temp sensor

I have another question for you guys on my new to me 2000 7.3 When i hooked up my AE to it, the coolant temp will just keep climbing on the computer up to 300 some degrees. This happens even when the engine is just started. The EOT seems normal. I was checking these because my cooling fan loves to keep cycling on and off, more staying on. Again right from a cold startup. This is with all the HVAC controls off, so defrost wouldn't be calling for ac. Does it sound like i have a bad coolant temp sensor or EOT sensor? The 2 problems have to be related some how.

Diesel Dan

10,000 LAKES CHAPTER MEMBER


2003 F350 Crew cab long box, FX4, 6.0, torqshift, Lariat.
dieseldan2005 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
I have another question for you guys on my new to me 2000 7.3 When i hooked up my AE to it, the coolant temp will just keep climbing on the computer up to 300 some degrees. This happens even when the engine is just started. The EOT seems normal. I was checking these because my cooling fan loves to keep cycling on and off, more staying on. Again right from a cold startup. This is with all the HVAC controls off, so defrost wouldn't be calling for ac. Does it sound like i have a bad coolant temp sensor or EOT sensor? The 2 problems have to be related some how.
7.3 doesn't have a coolant temp sensor that the PCM can see. The sensor just is hard wired to the gauge in the dash. I'm pretty sure the PCM uses a mix of the intake temp sensor and the EOT sensor. Some one can correct me on that though. What do those sensors say when you hook it up?

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-27-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

 
dieseldan2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Branch, MN
Posts: 4,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I didn;t check the intake temp, but the oil temp was reading correctly, starting out low and slowly climbing when the engine is cold. When i tried it with the engine warm it was reading normal oil temps, but the coolant was in the 300's which is obviously way off.

Diesel Dan

10,000 LAKES CHAPTER MEMBER


2003 F350 Crew cab long box, FX4, 6.0, torqshift, Lariat.
dieseldan2005 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldan2005 View Post
I didn;t check the intake temp, but the oil temp was reading correctly, starting out low and slowly climbing when the engine is cold. When i tried it with the engine warm it was reading normal oil temps, but the coolant was in the 300's which is obviously way off.
Maybe see what that says those are the only 2 things that I believe could influence the fan

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,967
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 204 Times in 195 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
From the, now defunct, AE Forums;

"I wrote to AE support about this issue. They confirmed that the pinout is there and AE sees it but the 7.3 application does not use this pinout so it floats - the result is that we see bogus information. Just ignore it, it's a result of Ford using the same hardware for multiple applications.

So now we have our answer - just ignore this information. Wish I had known this before - I momentarily panicked when I saw my coolant temp at 280F"
NoRalPh is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
From the, now defunct, AE Forums;

"I wrote to AE support about this issue. They confirmed that the pinout is there and AE sees it but the 7.3 application does not use this pinout so it floats - the result is that we see bogus information. Just ignore it, it's a result of Ford using the same hardware for multiple applications.

So now we have our answer - just ignore this information. Wish I had known this before - I momentarily panicked when I saw my coolant temp at 280F"
So is that saying the 7.3 can see coolant temp or is just the pin out there but not being used? I have always thought the PCM couldn't see ECT until late 01 when they did the big electric switch over

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-27-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

 
dieseldan2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Branch, MN
Posts: 4,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That is interesting stuff. So back to my other problem, what else would cause my fan clutch to keep kicking on when there is no demand for it?

Diesel Dan

10,000 LAKES CHAPTER MEMBER


2003 F350 Crew cab long box, FX4, 6.0, torqshift, Lariat.
dieseldan2005 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,967
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 204 Times in 195 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
So is that saying the 7.3 can see coolant temp or is just the pin out there but not being used? I have always thought the PCM couldn't see ECT until late 01 when they did the big electric switch over

I've never been sure...

There's talk of transmissions effecting the system monitoring the ECT (manuals -vs-auto), the cluster is the only thing connected to it, and what I took from the AE Forum above. I wasn't a participant, just wondered why I saw coolant temps I couldn't account for and looked it up there.

They, and here I'm not sure who "they" were, came back with the whole "pin-out" answer but, again, I've never really understood it either

To the OP, the fan clutch has no idea of what any sensors are seeing. It's self activated...
NoRalPh is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
I've never been sure...

There's talk of transmissions effecting the system monitoring the ECT (manuals -vs-auto), the cluster is the only thing connected to it, and what I took from the AE Forum above. I wasn't a participant, just wondered why I saw coolant temps I couldn't account for and looked it up there.

They, and here I'm not sure who "they" were, came back with the whole "pin-out" answer but, again, I've never really understood it either

To the OP, the fan clutch has no idea of what any sensors are seeing. It's self activated...
Well ill tell you when i monitor with my torque app my coolant shows as -30 degrees so im sure its the same sort of deal as AE. The way i interpret the pin out being on the PCM is just like how when you plug a L99+ pcm into a E99 truck all of a sudden they get a cruise control light that they didnt have before.

I feel its something they always wanted to incorporate but never actually got it to work until L01. An interesting test would be putting a pre-L01 PCM into a L01+ truck and see if you can get some readings for coolant

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome