Hell yeah oil leak! *pics* - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mturner2003
Hell yeah oil leak! *pics*

Sum beach. Lol, I'm getting ready to make a 1000 mile trip for the holidays TOMORROW with the F550 and she just started spewing oil EVERYWHERE underneath the turbo. No oil up near the HPOP or fuel bowl valley. What gets me is that it just started. Literally, either last night or this morning because I was underneath the truck all Saturday morning installing an inline filter and cooler for my ZF6. I know it wasn't leaking then because the transmission was clean. Poked my head under this morning when I noticed the leak, the ENTIRE trans is COVERED in motor oil. Whoo HOoOOo! NOT.

I ran to the store a minute ago and I don't know if I'm overreacting, lol but I swear all of a sudden it feels like the turbo doesn't spool up like it used too. I'm probably over thinking it.

Anyway, my fellow PSD owners, sound like pedestal orings? Turbo orings? Something else? AND, more importantly, is a 1000 mile trip feasible? Just keep an eye out on the oil level? OR park it. Thanks in advance fellas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

had you removed the turbo when you were taking these pictures?

because the ebpv rod is not hooked up.
im guessing your leaking from ebpv if its not your pedestal orings.
and if your ebpv is not hooked up it could be closed which would explain your loss of boost.

it wouldn't be feasible for you to drive it like this.

picture #3 shows the rod not hooked up and its coming out of the pedestal at a funny angle.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No, I was not removing it. When I bought the truck, the original owner told me he unhooked the EBPV. I never really thought about it other than I know it won't close when its cold and it idles up. I've owned it for 3 years now, but have hardly driven it. Nonetheless, I don't think I've had low power issue. Like I said, I am probably overreacting.

As for the leak tho, you feel it is not road worthy? Or you feel it is not road worthy because the EBPV is not hooked up?

I did a little more research and it could be a possible crack in the pedestal. Boo.

And to add some consideration to your thoughts, the reason I am driving the truck home is so that I can tow back roughly 6000 lbs. in tires and axles.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i just dont want anything bad to happen to your truck

i think the leak has to do with your pedestal. but pedestal 0-rings are cheap and you would have to do them anyways if the pedestal is junk.
a blank pedestal and high flow outlet are about 190 bucks. or you can delete them yourself. there is a video on how to do so in the 7.3 tech files.

and if the ebpv is partially closed it will kill boost and power, i remember readin your other thread about low power, could be the reason.

i guess if you have to drive definately keep filling her up with oil
Old 11-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post

and if the ebpv is partially closed it will kill boost and power, i remember readin your other thread about low power, could be the reason.

10-4 good buddy. I started contemplating about that when I read your post. Hmmm.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post

Just checked the position of the EBPV and it is open. I even closed it and started the truck to hear for the difference, and as I suspected it is easily noticeable if the valve is closed. Zip tied it open to be sure.

As for leak, and any other opinions?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I said f it, and made my trip with the leak. The dipstick never moved but I have a nice homemade undercoating now, lol.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Glad you made it. Any resolution to the leak? I'm having a leak myself..
Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It stopped leaking. The long trip must have been good for it and helped the orings seal back up. It will probably come back though. I very rarely drive this truck. Always less than a 1000 miles a year. And with the high mileage, the truck needs to be driven more often so that it doesn't become so tempermental. I drove it again yesterday and noticed how quieter the truck idled, and how smooth engine power was. I reckon she just needed the cobwebs blown out.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Best way to find the leak is get some simple green and a hose.... clean clean clean.... then break cleaner...

Start the truck and watch it run then and find the spot that gets wet first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.