HELP! Truck cuts off after driving!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bigcountry250
HELP! Truck cuts off after driving!!

Since it started getting cold at night if I don't plug in my truck or let it warm up to operating temp in the mornings it will cut off riding down to the road. When it did this I just coasted over and pulled off the road, my chip was in stock setting, I tried crank it back up and it just spins then finally cranks but runs really bad, like it has a HUGE cam in it then eventually it evens out and the truck is fine. But every time now I let it warm up and its fine. Also if I try to crank it cold it seems a little slow to start. I think it might be the glow plugs and that the engine isn't getting properly warmed when I start it cold. The dealer said that it might be some kind of exhaust pressure valve. What do ya'll think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

check your glow plug relay and glow plugs.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:17 PM

I checked the relay and it has voltage, how do I check the glow plugs themselves?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:15 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

dont see glow plugs causing it to cut off after alrady running down the road,believe i would check oil level and may lead up to a fuel pressure concern ,has any body pulled codes for you
Old 11-09-2006, 04:21 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Your oil is low. Had the same problem. Truck wouldn't run when cold. I resorted to letting it run while I was getting ready for work. Then, I changed my oil and haven't had a problem since. It was even doing it when it was warm outside. I would check the oil levels in the pan as well as in the HPOP (or where ever Marc said to check it in another post).
Old 11-09-2006, 05:05 AM

I think you guys are right, I had gone like 20,000 miles on the last oil change without checking it and I just changed it the other day, I'm gonna leave it unplugged and crank it cold tomorrow and see if my problem is gone.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:19 AM

20k without checking/changing, you a brave man.
Oil maintenance is the cheapest/easiest way to ensure long engine life. I had to learn this one the hard way , I hope you dont have to.
My lesson was on an old Rabbit diesel, got it with like 5k miles on that oil change and it was 1qt low when I went to change it. So I decided, I'll just change it next time at 3k, and wont have to worry about it. At ~1500 miles, it started starting hard, then got noisy. I checked the oil, 3.5 qts low and it only held 4. Bad news. Adding oil too late to help then. Engine very noisy, went no where and threw rod out the side.
The good news was I had like $60 in that car, so it was a relatively cheap lesson. The PSD seems to hold a better resale than the old rabbits, replacement=$$$$.
Check it often and Change it regularly.
I'll step down from here now, and put my soapbox away.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke Techie

They are right 20k on an oil change is way to much. A PSD abuses the engine oil worse than any other engine out there. It uses the engine oil basically like hydraulic oil. Pressures from 450 psi to 2400 psi+ to fire the injectors. Change your oil regurally!!! I know quite a few peolpe that have replaced cps do to low oil.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 AM

Yea this is gonna teach me a lesson, i am def going be better about maitenance from now on, thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.