2002 Ford F250 7.3 dies! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 Ford F250 7.3 dies!

2002 Ford F205 7.3 Diesel.

It started like normal this morning, and did fine till I was about 10 mile down the road, I stopped at an intersection. When I gassed on it to go, it just died... It started right up and idles fine. If I power braked it and got the RPMs up pretty good then it takes right off and drives fine, but if I take off regular it just dies every time. I tried it in reverse and it does the same thing. I changed the CPS, still no change.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No Check Engine light?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No check engine light.....
Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 AM

That most likely would point to Fuel Delivery then. Thing is, running better at High RPM (where it uses More Fuel) kinda contradicts that...

I'll have to think one that on at Lunch
Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Once you get going, it runs perfect till you stop! It may die when you stop or when you start driving.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:46 PM

OK, so here's my new theory

System Voltage....

You need the Alt to be producing maybe. Take a MultiMeter and measure the voltage in the "Outlet" (cig ltr) in the cab. What'da ya got at idle?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has good voltage. I tried to run the truck a little this morning. It starts up and idles just like always. If you put it in gear and gas on it to take off it dies. If you power brake it and slowly let off the throttle it goes fine then it will drive down the road fine, till you stop then it dies. If I get it going I can drop it in neutral and coast it does fine till I use the brakes then it dies just like that. Tried it in reverse in neutral, and as soon as you use the brakes it dies!!! That's the weirdest thing i've ever seen!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 PM
The Screwy HEUI

I know this might be old-fashioned, but how about a buzz test? I had a similar problem to this a few years ago. It got to a point where 1 day I was letting it idle getting it ready for work. It sounded like nothing was wrong with it. Then in a flash, the idle changed like it was starving for fuel & died yet again. I thought it would start right back up like it had done time & time again, but it didn't. I tried cranking it to see if the tach would move & it did, so the CPS was out of the question. I ran a buzz & I got IDM codes. It turned out my IDM went on the fritz & then just completely rolled a 7 that last day.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On November 20 2013, I was looking around the motor trying to decide where to start, when down in the v of the motor I saw a little retainer nut. I knew what that nut was for! It was the little nut that holds the sensor on the IPR! It had worked off and the sensor was just sliding around on the IPR shaft. I installed the retainer sleeve and retainer nut on the IPR, and it started up and now runs perfect again....

Thanks for the help,
Daniel Koehn
Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Good for you... lucky that little bastard did not roll off and get jammed or fall off and get lost!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.