Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

PCM or CPS problem? Something is wrong!!

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Corey@CNCFAB 
#1 ·
2 weeks ago, while driving to school, my truck died. When I would try to start it the tach would not move, and it wouldn't fire. Prior to this, I had CEL light on for an injector 8 misfire.

After waiting 15 min, I tried again and it fired right up.

I went to the closest autoparts store, Oreillys, and got a new grey BW CPS sensor, and replaced the grey CPS that was in my truck. The CEL injector 8 missfire light went away ,but with this new sensor the truck often would cut out when I got above 2000 rpm.

I was told to try a ford CPS so I went to Ford the next day and got a grey ford CPS, and a spare. That night I put it in and it fixed my cutting out issue, although shortly after my CEL light came back.

Since then I've driven over 350 miles. After about 250 miles the CEL went back off.

Yesterday the CEL light came back one. Today the truck cut out and died. I was close to the house and was able to coast up to the driveway luckily.

I tried cranking but had no tach movement and it wouldn't fire. I put in my spare grey ford CPS, and tried again but still got nothing. I also realized that my wait to start light was not coming on and my CEL light would blink on then off once very quickly.

I checked the #30 fuse and its fine. After more searching and no luck I gave up.

I came back about 4 hours later and turned the key. This time I saw my wait to start light! The truck fired right up, but it immediately had an insane lope for a few seconds, then almost died, but right before it died the rpms jumped up and my idle leveled out to normal.

I took it for a drive, and it seemed to run fine. I scanned the CEL light. I got the injector 8 missfire code. I also got a ICP higher/lower than desired, but I always seem to get that if I have had the chip on.

I'm extremely confused. I need to get this figured out soon as without my truck I can't get to work, and its a LONG walk to school when I cant get a ride. I also don't want it to die like this again on my way to class or work.

I'm at college in Reno, away from home, so I'm limited with tools at my place up here.

for what is worth my truck is

2000, 7.3, 4x4, ZF-6, Dual Disk Clutch, DIY CAI with a K&N Tube and 6637 filter, 35's, 3.73's, Edge Juice with attitude, Stock injectors, GDS ball buster turbo (just a direct bolt in, that doesn't seem much better than stock with .84 housing), I was told it has an adrenaline HPOP.

Asside from tires and air filter the truck had everything else listed above when i bought it. It currently has 136,xxx miles and is my daily driver so I need to get it figured out ASAP!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
turned out the problem was there was a custom tune chip plugged into my PCM.
I had no idea this was one the truck and either did the previous owner. It's made by a brand I've never even heard of called and dynosources, and something must have stopped working in it. Whats odd is that while this was plugged in I could still use my edge tuner. There was a noticeable decrease in power once it was removed. In which case I would have had my 7.3 stacked. Not sure how that was even possible. But my truck seems to run great now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.