Injector cup problem with no fuel in coolant? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector cup problem with no fuel in coolant?

I am doing injectors on a friends truck, and things have been going along well till I got to the pass side. 7 of the 8 injectors (@377k miles all original) looked the same in the area below the lowermost o-ring. One was very clean and has what looked like some pitting and light rust to the body. This injector nozzle also was very very coked up.

Given that it is the only odd ball out of the group and the mileage I was thinking there could be an injector cup issue, but EVERYTHING i have read says fuel in coolant. I question that if the crack happens below the lower o-ring of the injector would there be no fuel in the coolant provided the o-ring is intact? I am gonna pressure test the cooling system later today and see if I see anything in the cup in question, but I figured it was worth asking to see if anyone had seen something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 AM

if it has almost 400k miles change all the injector cups.

they are going to crack sooner than later.

was it the #8 injector that looked like this by chance?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:46 PM

It was not # 8. #8 was misfiring often and its perdels was horrible in AE. 2 other injectors gave occasional missfires too. The one in question was the second one from the front of the engine on the pass side. I cant recall what number that would be off the top of my head now. Also the next one going back had a lower oring completely falling apart when I pulled it out. What would the second one back on the pass side be #3? Which would be one of the ones that would misfire pretty often per the codes.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:33 PM

i wouldnt go changing ANY cup unless the pressure checks tells me to change them.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

You sure the copper ring was seated? Was it gaining, losing coolant? If coolant was never an issue i wouldnt look at cups. Also did he flush coolant regularly? I know its usually around every 60k but if he's done it at least 3 times i wouldnt worry about cups. If never, sadly id have to say change them all. If they're not leaking now, they will soon.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:40 AM

Copper ring was still seated to the bottom of the injector when I took it out. Don't know the entire history of the truck, but it appeared to have Dexcool and a high precentage of water (more than 70% I would guess) as coolant about 6 months ago. I did a long flush and then refill with regular old green coolant and distilled water. Also added Napa's SCA additive in the correct ratio.

FWIW many trucks I have worked on owners never knew about SCA's. But I have yet to see one come in with a cavitation leak. No coolant in oil far as I can tell, (didnt send a sample off for testing) and I have not seen any excess pressure or discoloration to the the degas bottle. Coolant smells like coolant no exhaust or fuel smell. Finally getting to rig up pressure test later today after I button up his son's truck. At 377k I am kinda inclined to do the cups regardless cause a **** ton of work has been done to this truck to fix leaks and other problems in the past year, and with new injectors going in to take care of the last major issue it would be peace of mind for the owner knowing that all this stuff is done.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:56 AM

the number 3 and 8 usually fail the perdel test even if they are good injectors.
the ford recall cps causes this.

i feel the same way if they havent failed yet hes lucky and they are going to fail.
mine as well fix it now instead of having to pull the injectors back out again.

on a side note whats the fuel filter look like?
was it getting changed every 10k miles?
could explain some rust issues.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

Aye on fuel filter. And not just changing the filter. Also cleaning the bowl. Ive seen people change filters all day but never clean the bowl. That can cause a rust color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.