New to a diesel, having starting/running issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to a diesel, having starting/running issues

I just bought a 2001 Superduty , the 7.3 is hard to start after sitting over night, then once finally running, it runs rough for about 10 mins after, any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It strikes me like it starves for fuel, it will run a few mins idling up and down, then falls flat on its face, it will also sometimes get going and then lose power and sputtuer for a few mins while driving and then clear up. It seems to only act this way after sitting for a while. Can anyone help? I can diagnose and fix gassers easily, diesel is a new animal to me.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fuel filter? Glow plugs? Glow plug relay.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

like I said, I'm new to a diesel so please bear with me... If I change the fuel filter, is it difficult to re prime the fuel system? Also, how would I test the glow plugs and relay? I'll give some more background info, the truck has 400 000 kms on it and when i went to pick it up, it had been rarely driven for a year and was run empty of fuel the day before I bought it. Once it is running without issue it seems to run fine, it doesnt seem to be missing etc, but getting it started and to stay running is a chore, it usually takes 10-15 mins just to get it running and stay running
Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is no repriming. Its not like the old mechanical fuel pumped diesels. When u replace the filter, before u put the cap back on, top off the bowl with fuel. Look in the 99-03 7.3 forum. Read the stickies, wealth of info that tells you all about the glow plug system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, I checked the GPR and it seems to test ok. After sitting it starts right up, runs for about 30 secs than quits. After that it is very hard to get started, once started it keeps dying, it will eventually run very very rough but stay running, then when it seems to idle well, i will drive less than half a mile and it will lose all power for about 30 secs and then its fine the rest of the day, or at least until it sits for a while. I don't think its a glow plug issue, it seems to suddenly starve for fuel over and over
Old 11-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

I'm not sure if this will help, but it used to be with old mechanical pumps, if you ran them dry, you can damage some of them pretty quick. As the pump starts the cavitation, it will score up the pump walls when spinning dry. And it happens quick. And they never produce proper pressure or volume again, but just enough to get it running, and keep it going on and off for short periods, but never produce power or run properly.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is there a schraeder valve in the engine compartment to test fuel pressure? and if so, what pressure should i have?
Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

The time of the year may not be helping you. With your use of km, I'll guess you're in Canada, or close to it. I think you may have more than one issue, GP's being one. If you have tested the GPR and it's good, you should ohm out the UVCH to check the GP's themselves. A quick, non-technical test of your GP system would be to plug it in over night. If it starts up quick and easy and life is full of dreams and rainbows, something is wrong with the GP system. If it starts easier, and still gives you issues, it would be time to look at other things, but let's go one step at a time to eliminate the easy stuff.

A few starter questions though.

When was the last time the oil was changed? These diesels require good oil to run right.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Starving of fuel would be problematic.

You asked about priming after a fuel filter change, so I can guess you haven't changed it since purchase. That leads me to assume you haven't changed the oil either. Whether they're the issue or not, both of those should be done. I would also get a transmission fluid flush as well. All of these will set known maintenance benchmarks for your own cycle.

Hucorey is correct in the no priming after a fuel filter change. I don't even refill my reservoir after a change. I throw in a new filter, turn on the key for a few seconds, turn it off for a bit to let new fuel soak into the filter, then I turn it back on, fire up the truck and drive it like nothing happened. Easy stuff.

You don't have to let the fuel soak in, I've done a change and fired the truck up and hit the road with no noticeable problems. But if giving it a chance to prime has a slight chance of making my injectors not commit suicide early, I'll take it.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I literally just bought the truck. I will be changing oil and the fuel filter very shortly. I haven't yet checked the GP themselves, but it fires right up every time, just falls apart after that. I will do the oil change and fuel filter prior to getting too far into desktop diagnosing any problems. My main problem is, I am a very mechanically oriented person, I hate paying someone to fix my stuff, but... I hardly know anything about diesels. yes I am in Canada. Thanks for the help so far guys, go easy on me, I still don't know what all the abbreviations stand for LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.