Chicken soup from chicken crap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chicken soup from chicken crap

Posted in another help thread about a 2002 7.3 in a truck I bought. It has multiple issues so I am trying to sort them one at a time.
When I unloaded it off the transport, it started instantly. Drove it into the shop. Checked the oil and it had about a gallon too much and smelled like heavy diesel. Was pumping fuel/oil out the exhaust, missing badly, and smoking to beat hell.
First thing I suspected was turbo seals. Pulled off the intake hose from the filter, and the pipe from turbo to the intercooler, was going to take a look. Started it and let it run for about ten seconds. before I could get out of the truck to look, it absolutely hosed the engine compartment with oil!!
OK... I still am not sure where it's coming from, but its not going to get started again.
Next thing was why it had so much diesel in the oil. If I understand correctly, the hpop should [I]easily[I] overcome fuel pressure, and I should have oil in the fuel, not the other way around.
Pulled the fuel filter cover and fuel looks clean and fresh. So if an injector seal let go I would think it would let oil into the fuel.
Cracked head?? No oil or fuel in the coolant. I drained the radiator and the coolant also looks clean. Used but clean.
Decided that before I put a lot of time and money into the top of this thing I would check the compression, and see if I had a good foundation to work from.
Glow plugs came out with very little resistance. These thing were in no sense of the word "tight". My concern is, two of them (#1 and #3) came out with about a quarter inch of the tip missing!! Is this common??
I turned the engine over about ten revolutions with a socket and breaker on the crank, in case the ends were still in the cylinder. I did not want to screw anything up doing the compression test with the starter.
Did not encounter any real resistance with all the glow plugs out. Do I need to pull the injectors on those two cylinders and insert a small vacuum tube in the hole and suck them out?? I am worried the missing tips may have fallen onto the piston dish, and turning it over with the starter might be fast enough to toss them.
I will have to get the proper fitting for my compression gauge before I can test. I realize this might be boring and tedious to a lot of you guys, but I am trying to make this engine run without pulling it, or putting in a replacement.
Any advice would be appreciated!! Here are a couple pics, the glow plugs in question, and the pool of oil left in the intercooler pipe.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Hope that worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Looks like a good project ... Just my opinion, but it looks to me like the broken ones have already been run with the ends broken off - the ends are oiled and sooty with exhaust.

I'm not sure if these are ferrous/steel or not - but did you try a small magnet and fish around - if accessible to get a thin magnet in there through the glo plug hole?

Not familiar enough with the 7.3 to comment on the other issue of fuel / oil mixing. But on the bright side, it looks nice and clean under the rocker cover.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glow plug hole is pretty small. You're right though, I didn't think about them being so sooty. They probably went away a while ago.
Haven't pulled an injector yet, as I wanted to verify compression at the least before I went any further. Thought the nozzle hole would be a little bigger. Maybe a vacuum tube would fit.
I don't know any history about the truck, so can't say how many miles it went with diesel in the oil, but it did clean it up. Just hope it didn't wash the rings out of it.
One bite at a time. If I can't save it, it wont be the first replacement I have done. It will be my first diesel transplant though!!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

If they did break off - could they have run through the exhaust, through the valves ( not a nice thought) and then through the turbo... Doesn't explain the fuel in the crank case.
You could try a small piece of clear hose attached to a vacuum and see what you get through the injector hole.

The other thing I'd be worried about it how clean it is, how much of the deposits are disturbed now and redistributed through out the galleys and oil passages??

Sorry, not trying to discourage you. (I love projects like this myself) Just throwing out my thoughts. Might go to a lot of trouble with this one just to get 1000 miles and loose the main bearings or something else from no oil.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My thoughts exactly Jeff. That's the reason for the comp test. At least I will feel a little better about it. If cylinders/rings are washed out its a safe bet the bearings can't be far behind.
What really stings is... this thing starts like a gas motor. I have several friends with diesels, and we have several at work, and most of them take some cranking to light off. Although one guy tells me "it has low compression or it would not start so quick". "Turns over too fast". I had to call bs on that one!!
These guys have convinced me its worth saving,(not that it took much convincing) but then, we are all electricians... not mechanics. LOL
The fuel in the oil makes me worry about the HPOP not having enough pressure. But then, it has enough to make it run. I am puzzled by it all, but I like a challenge.
For the price of a reasonable mileage dropout from a wreck or a salvage yard, I could do quite a bit of work to this one. Not to mention the labor of removing and replacing.
It would suck to get a couple thousand miles and it lay down though. My buddies assure me, with proper maintenance, these engines will go 500K no problem. It only has 198K and some change.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I hear you.
There is some truth to the compression. I would not be surprised if you find it on the low side. Fast spins are a sign of low compression, or good batteries, but would be hard to start in my opinion. And the rings washed out would explain the excessive exhaust. And missing for that matter until it warmed up.

Who knows, really a compression test to see is a good start point. If the rest can be done on the cheap, maybe you will get a few miles out of. Or at least a good project! Nothing to lose on it.

Let me know what you find on the compression, I'm curious.

And I do know guys who run those 7.3 for many years and a lot of miles. I have diesels that have been going for 50 years now, with no issues. No computer or electronics on them either mind you.

Good luck with it, keep me posted when you can.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd also do a compression test to see if the rings or a piston is bad. An injector may be washing a cyclinder.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wouldn't the check engine light be on if the injector was an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.