In search of some help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In search of some help!!

New to the forum and diesel truck ownership. Short version:
Bought a used 2002 F450 bucket truck at auction. Paid scrap value for it as it has some "issues". Bucket bed in perfect shape, but engine is weak. Done hours of reading and research, and believe I have several different problems to deal with. Here is a description of the issues it has.
Starts within 5 to 10 seconds of GP light going off. (not a prob, just mentioning)
Smokes like a battleship, has a miss/knock.
Has about a gallon too much oil in the crankcase, diluted with diesel.
Pumps oil/fuel mixture out the exhaust pipe.

Now before I get flamed, as soon as I realized it had fuel in the oil I stopped running it. I was worried about the oil coming out the exhaust and a hydraulic lock/scatter parts scenario.

Guy I bought it from said "it has a turbo issue". I thought that might be why it was pumping oil out the exhaust. When I unloaded it from the tow/delivery truck, I pulled the intake/ filter tube off the turbo to look in and see if it was turning. Cranked it , and it blew oil out the intake pipe!! Seals maybe?? Oil doesn't usually travel against the air flow. There is oil pooled in the intercooler pipes on both sides,( a LOT, not just a spoonful) and I am sure the intercooler is probably full.

The fuel in the oil issue could be injector O-rings??? Have a code for two injectors.

Needless to say, it has not been started, (nor will it be) until I sort it out.

I have bought and sold several trucks needing work, and a couple ended with a R&R with a dropout engine from a salvage. I am not scared of buying something needing work, and while I make my living as an electrician, I am capable of wrenching on most anything.

This is my first foray onto the diesel world, and Powerstroke was the entry I chose.
I have already started the stripping process and have the valve covers off. (not near the nightmare I thought it would be, by what I have read) I have not pulled any injectors yet.

The penciled-in plan is a set of replacement injectors, glow plugs while I am in there, new gasket/harness on both heads, and a removal and rebuild of the turbo.

Any advice or speculation about what is going on with it, or recommendations of a different plan will be MORE than welcome!!

Am I going in the right direction, or am I just throwing money at it??

Thanks for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Depending on what you paid for the truck it may or may not have been a great deal. If you bought it cheap enough then it may just be worth your effort to buy a new/rebuilt/used engine to throw in it and call it good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.