New Here Need Help 99 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Here Need Help 99 7.3

I have a 99 7.3 that has developed a problem at start up.
It will start fine but with the check engine light on it only stays on for a minute or so and does not give a hard code but when the check engine light is on the engine seems to have 1/2 power till the light goes out then every thing is fine. this only happens when cold on initial start up.
any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's not giving a code with the light on? Is it making any weird noises?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
It will start fine but with the check engine light on it only stays on for a minute or so and does not give a hard code
Sure it does....

The code is certainly a stored one, chances are you're trying to use a scanner that isn't capable of retrieving it. You can't use a regular OBD-II scanner on our trucks, you need a professional scanner (Not what the Parts Stores have) to properly diagnose. Most here use the AutoEnginuity for personal use (@$350 w/Ford Enhanced pkg) or just take it somewhere that has the right equipment.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for replying to my problem
one question
if the check engine light is not on can there still be a code in the computer that can be retrieved ?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yup...when the light comes on it gives a code. That code will stay there until cleared. If the light goes back out, the code will be stored...still there
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
TorquePro android app works well for $5 and $25 for a BAFX WiFi Bluetooth obdII adapter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
TorquePro android app works well for $5 and $25 for a BAFX WiFi Bluetooth obdII adapter.
You know,,, that's a Good Point!

Having the AE, I don't really know much about the App. It certainly won't do anywhere near what the AE will do, but it's apparently a good alternative for someone who just wants a simple code reader that has some of the proprietary and diesel codes that the Generic OBD-II readers library lacks.

This is an Android app that communicates with a BT OBD connector you buy? I've read people having trouble with that communication, is there a Hard Wire alternative?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The BAFX model works very well. The cheap $10-15 ones you have about a 50/50 shot of it junk. The app is fantastic and reliable. Sees everything AE does. Just doesn't do CCT or buzz test....yet.

But there is another app that recently came out that does those, but it seems to need a little refining from the reviews. $6 for that one. I'm sure as it catches on and improvements are made to the apps, AE may become obsolete due to the price.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
AE may become obsolete due to the price.
Come on, you're not that naive - are you?

I know the current "App-Happy" generation thinks an app is the answer for everything but, this is about Information...

What you pay the AE people for is their expertize in Reverse Engineering Fords proprietary information (stuff they don't want to let-out). So you need really smart guys with really good understanding of powertrain management systems to put in a Graphic Interface in a useful package (unlike the app "developers" to are, just now, finding this 10-15yo information that AE had with in Months).

Not to mention all the other technical sub systems (Radio/Nav/etc) they would still have to get around to (for the small group who'd really need it)

No, I think AutoEnginuity will survive the toys & bling of the appsters

It's a serious tool that takes serious development and that needs to be kept current. Not everybody's capable of doing that....
Old 11-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I am VERY familiar with AE, I have it. And I think maybe you might be a bit naive toward apps as the 7 yr patent rights run out its very easy to say the least "copy/paste" the software. For the I.T. geniuses out there its very easy for them to do this. Especially when some are possibly former employees/software contractors that engineered the software.

Capitalism at work.

It sucks spending $385 on AE knowing now the TorquePro will give you all the same pid's as AE for $30. :what:

Last edited by hucorey; 11-03-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.