Low boost question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low boost question

Hey guys I have an 01 7.3 just barely rolled over 100k miles. I've never had anything to monitor boost on the truck until I recently bought the edge juice with attitude. Now I'm used to driving 6.0s and 6.4s for work and their boost is waaaaaaaay higher than my 7.3. While I'm cruising on the freeway about 75 I'm only at like 3-4 lbs of boost. If I floor it and I'm talking pegged out I'm lucky if I see 16 which seems low to me or am I just mistaken. Also ever since I put the programmer in I'm throwing a p1690 waste gate control code which I never had so I don't know if the chip is overriding the truck and it realizes something is different or if it's really just messed up. Any input would be awesome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just cruising there isn't much of a load so boost is low. 16psi at WOT is a bit low depending on circumstances. If you were tuned when you got 16psi then something's wrong. Start by looking for soot around the up pipes and check all your boots are tight and not cracked.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Premium Member

Your truck is throwing a waste gate problem code, and you're making low boost. My first thought would be to check the waste gate system. Might be nothing more than a shorted wire or one a rat chewed up.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Ya I heard I should be pushing close to 25 lbs with a tuner. No evidence of leaks anywhere. Dropped it off at the local power stroke shop today. Let's see what they say!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 PM

sadly they came back with horrible news. turbo is going out. new stage 1 installed for 1800. should be done tomorrow
Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

What did they say about the waste gate code?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Are you saying the shop installed a stage one turbo? I hope it was a 38r for that price.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

16psi is spot on with a stock truck/turbo.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 AM

The wastegate code supposedly is being thrown because of the chip. The chip is supposed to allow it to build more boost and the truck is recognizing it. Hence the reason why I never threw the code until the chip was installed. However its not building the amount of boost it should. With my tuner on the stock setting I was only pulling 11.84 pounds of boost at wot. On stage 5 they could only get it to 14.6. My buddy has the same set up I do with a stock Turbo and pulls 23 pounds on stage 3. They said I can expect to see mid 20's with the new Turbo. He explained it to me. He said although 100k is abnormally low for a Turbo to go on these trucks but I have to remember this truck is 13 years old! I'm the second owner, I have only put 30k on it but who knows what the first Guy did!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What are you considering WOT??? Are you talking about hitting the gas from a stop to where you top out or what? Your not gonna see 20-25 psi unless your putting an ACTUAL load on the truck like a big uphill climb or pulling a trailer. Hell i run my truck in 140 tune 24/7 and i hardly even touch 15, even when merging on the interstate or passing. Its not unless im in OD and punch the pedal going up a steep hill where ill see 20+ numbers.

If your throwing a wastegate code did you try unplugging the wastegate hose and see what kind of number your getting after that? Your wastegate is probably just opening too soon. I unplugged mine the other day and ever since i can build boost a whole lot faster than before but just gotta watch your boost when you do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.