2003 7.3L Losing Oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 7.3L Losing Oil

The truck has 185,000 on it. A month ago it started losing oil. I checked it one morning and it needed 6 quarts. This truck never lost a drop between oil changes. I changed the oil and checked it everyday. It lost 1 quart every 100 miles. I decided to change the injector o-rings. Changed the oil again and it is still losing oil at a rate of 1 qt per 100 miles. I towed my boat (8K). The engine lost 2 qts. in a hundred miles. There is no oil in the fuel bowl. No oil in the coolant. Fuel pressure at idle is 70 pds. Under WOT run in 120 tune pressure goes down to and holds at 55 psi. Compression on all cylinders is between 460 and 470 psi. There are no external oil leaks. My ICP at idle is 495 pds at 10.54% duty cycle. Ran a cylinder contribution test and all cylinders passed. Checked turbo, no oil on either compressor or turbine side, no in or out play, not hitting the compressor housing. It smokes a very light whitish grey smoke while idling and is not noticeable when driving down the road. When I Rev the engine in park it smokes a puff of whitish grey in my stock tune. It never smoked in my stock tune. Now it does. I'm pretty sure it is burning the oil. Truck seems to run fine.

So after that long story I'm trying to figure out if some of the new injector o-rings didn't seal right or I have an internal o-ring problem. Any ideas??

Update. I pulled my injectors to see if I had any issues with the new orings. They all looked good. Since I had the injectors pulled anyway I decided to be methodical about this and I'm sending in my injectors to be benchflowed and checked for an internal bypass. I'll update when I get some info for Jim at Rosewood.

Problem solved thanks to Jim at Rosewood. It was the internal orings. I installed them on Sat. and have driven 200 miles and not lost a any oil. No more light white/gray smoke at idle.

Last edited by mjm97stroker; 11-11-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Final Resolution info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.