strange start up and shut down noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
strange start up and shut down noise

i put my new exhaust on my 250 and know that i can hear it running i found two weird noises that i cant explain myself so i thought i would ask the experts. im new at diesel but not a complete air head lol. first is an exhaust noise when you first start her up and she is cold she sounds good for a little then i start to get this loud high pitch air noise but when you tap the fuel it goes away and them comes back and you have to repeat the process till she is warmed up. the second is the turbo it sounds great when she is running sool up is good everything sounds great till your turn the key off and the spool down she is loud. it is a garrett gtp38r ball bearing turbo and full mbrp 4" exhaust. here is a link to a vid of it. can you guys please tell me if everything is ok or do i have to be worried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XejPFkIOjxs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The video was hard to hear on my phone, but sounds normal to me. Your BB turbo will coast for a while after shutdown. Your load air sound is probably the exhaust back pressure valve. Most just unplug it at the pedestal to deactivate it
Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the "jet" sound at idle is the EBPV valve closing to aid in warm up.
thats what it is supposed to do, dont tap the pedal. it is a valve on the turbo that closes to help create backpressure and warm the truck up.

as far as the turbo goes, its ball bearing, so it will continue to spin after the truck is off.

and whats with the intake? your just sucking a bunch of hot air having it like that.
get a real intake that draws cool air fron the fender and do the zoodad mod to get cool air from the front.

and if thats a k&n filter get it off.
do some reading on intakes to use.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys the turbo was kinda making me afraid and lol yes i know about the intake this truck is in the middle of a partial resto job i bought a truck thinking all it would need was a paint job. so far front and rear axle seals both front hubs front breaks ebreak pads and im almost ready for paint lol. o and i got to figure out why the tranny is not shifting in the wright time and what the hell this kid did under the dash there is just this random 3 way toggle switch wired in and boost presser gauge in the bully dog is not reading (praying that the bully dog is not messed up) but any advise is welcome and thanks again for the help
Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my truck had some gremlins too maintenance is the key.

ditch the bully dog and get a good chip with custom tunes, but
if its the bully dog monitor you can use it just for monitoring egt and trans temp and boost.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what is so wrong with bully dog and k&n filters?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The bully dog is causing your tranny shift problems. K&Ns allow more air flow, but they also happen to allow more dirt flow. You'll dust your turbo with it
Old 11-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thank you I just like an explanation better then "that **** sucks" lol thanks for the details. Is the shifting issue a comen thing with the toner and theses trucks And what toner would be recamended with the same ez of use because I'm good at repairing but when it come to programing not so much lol
Old 11-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah, the shifting thing is common with Bully Dogs. You should do like Blue99 said and get a custom tune. That way your truck will be set up the way you want it...YOUR shift points, YOUR power level, YOUR environmental setting (heat, cold, altitude), etc. Better than a generic plug in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.