Starting issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting issues

I have been lurking on here for a month or so, pulled some good info. I didnt want my first post to be looking for help, but I am in a funky situation.

The truck: 2002 F250 with 93,000 (yes, 93k). I picked it up a couple of months ago. It had a slow oil leak, and I could smell the faint smell of diesel. So over the weekend I replaced all of the o-rings and seals on the HPOP and fuel bowl.

Had the truck all back together, running fine, no leaks, or issues starting afterwards or yesterday.

This morning, leaving for work it fired up just fine. I started backing down the driveway when the water in the diesel light came on and started stalling out.

I shut it off, bled the diesel, then primed it a few times. Truck would start up, then sputter for a couple of seconds and die. Tried several times repeating this process, seems to be doing the same thing repeatedly.

Right now I have the batteries on the charger. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction of where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont know if there was smoke, it was way too dark to tell.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tried it again. Sputters while trying to crank, white smoke.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the fuel bowl full of fuel?
Is the hpop resevoir full of oil?
Pull the icp sensor and see if any air comes out as well make sure the d/s rail is full of oil.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's my usual "No Start"

Do you have a spare CPS to try? Everybody should carry a spare, if it didn't fix it the old one would become yours.

Does the WTS light come on? (shows the computer is running)

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (are you close to empty?)

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman01 View Post
Is the fuel bowl full of fuel?
Is the hpop resevoir full of oil?
Pull the icp sensor and see if any air comes out as well make sure the d/s rail is full of oil.
Reservoir is full. Fuel bowl is full.

I don't know what you mean to see if air comes out of the icp
Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post

Do you have a spare CPS to try? Everybody should carry a spare, if it didn't fix it the old one would become yours.

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly.

Need a short breather, at my wits end. I tried pulling codes with my old obd2 scanner. Didn't register the truck at all. Haven't used it in about 5 years, assumed it was bad so I spent $130 on a new one. Same problem.

Just came back from the parts store with a new CPS, will replace it shortly.

The wait to start light does come on.

Fuel bowl does refill. Should be at a full tank, refilled yesterday at lunch (made a 30 mile drive home, then a couple of errands last night after).

It seems to be a little slow to me, I'm going to pick up a couple of new batteries.

I don't think it is chipped, nothing plugged in the obd2 port. But then again, it doesn't register the scanner. I'll try to check the ecu, maybe there is some sort of plug in chip in leu of the harness.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post

Also on "it won't even try to start". It sputters like crazy, she's trying to start.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replaced CPS, same problem. Heading out for a couple of batteries.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down stop spending money on stuff you might not need

First, No $130 scanner works well on our trucks, you need a professional scanner, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II. Most here use the AutoEnginuity for personal use (@ $350, you add an old computer). BUT, you'd be Far better off paying someone to scan your truck with the right equipment before you just "open your wallet" trying to Guess what's wrong...

If it's trying to start it doesn't sound like batteries to me. What I was saying is that if the PCM doesn't see at least 100rpm cranking speed it doesn't trigger the IDM to fire the injectors and "try" to start. You have sputter & smoke, the injectors are firing.

Your symptoms sound like fuel starvation maybe. If the problem is before the injectors (empty/pump/filter/etc.) you don't get a SES light. If it's after you should. Has the SES light come on?

Drain the fuel bowl and look at what comes out. IS there, in fact, water present? You may have gotten a bad load of fuel and "backing down the driveway" has moved it to the pick-up. Cycle the key On once (for safety reasons the pump only runs 15sec with the engine off) and drain it again. How's it look? How much came out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.