Exhaust leak problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust leak problem

Hi im new to this forum and was hoping you guys could help me out. When i bought the truck it had a major exhaust leak so i pulled the turbo and replaced the dount gaskets. After all that it was still leaking bad so i bought both new up pipes and a new y pipe. No it doesnt leak at all around the turbo . My problem is now around where the up pipe connects to the manifolds. I sanded and cleaned the beveled edge on each side of the manifold and used red silicone, tightened it back down and let if dry over night. This morning i went out and started it and its still leaking around where the up pipe hooks to the manifolds. Any ideas on how to fix this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 05:09 AM
Banned

???

This is kind of weird. This may sound stupid but how do you know it's leaking?? (Should see some black soot.....) The silicone is useless as it will just burn under those temps. The manifold is rounded and the up pipes are flanged so that the connection will fit snug on those, and since you put new pipes in I can't see how they could be leaking, other than the pipe being odd shaped. What alot of people don't consider when replacing donuts is that the pipes alot of times have holes in them and they need replaced. I'm wondering if the up pipe is shaped weird at the connection or something. If it was me I'd try and loosen the upper bolts where they connect to the y-collector, then tighten the manifold ends down real snug first, then tighten the upper bolts on the donuts back up and see what it does. Them donuts have some play in them to give you something to work with the other way. Can you fill out your signature so we know what you're driving?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The problem is that when i tighten the up pipes to the manifold first then tighten the y pipe i cant et the y pipe to line up with the turbo. Most of the time its lined up but about 2 to 3 inches away from the turbo. I would tighten the y pipe bolts after its hooled to the turbo but i cant get to them then.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke Techie

If you remove the down pipe from the truck, leave the turbo installed with y-collector installed on turbo you can loosen andd tighten the bolts on the y-collector with a long extension and a wabble socket. Also Check the back bolts on the exhast manifolds to make sure one of them is not broken.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I finally figures out where it was leaking. Its coming from around the manifolds, after so many temp changes they warp over time. I talked to the machine shop they said they see this all the time. The shop is going to machine them for me. Im not going to try to take them off myself all the bolts are rusty and i know there all going to break. Ill keep youall posted on weather or not it helped. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.