Do you always get a "Check Engine" light when CPS goes haywire? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Do you always get a "Check Engine" light when CPS goes haywire?

I have a 2002 F-250 with the 7.3 PSD in it. I bought it new and it only has around 25000 miles on it. As of lately it (last several months) when I drive it, it may buck as if it were missing or it may die completely. Sometimes it starts immediately, others it may take several minutes. I took it to the Ford Dealership and they tried to pull the codes off of it. The "Check engine" light came on once when it missed twice in a row but then it went off after I turned the engine off. There were not any codes registered. So all they did was change the fuel filter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tgant3

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Sounds to me like the Camshaft Position Sensor. Very common.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am starting to believe it after reading the forums

Tim Gant
Old 11-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
It is the highest probability. Pulling the code first is a true way of knowing, if you can ever get it read. I would think that even if the code was stored but not tripping the CEL that Ford's scanner would read it.....not sure. My superchips tuner that I had read codes with the CEL on or off. It's cheap insurance to just go ahead and replace it anyway. It will either fix the problem, or prevent it from happening much sooner than it would have.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 PM

If the truck is still under warranty ford's not going to replace it without getting the code. I had a tech in Tulsa, OK hook up the scanner and ran the truck at close to wide open until it tripped with the scan tool hooked up so he could catch it he said probably close to 90% of the time that's the only way to get the code. Maybe this will help so you don't have to eat the cost.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies. I talked with another Ford dealership and they want me to bring it in and let them drive it until it does it again with a scanner hooked up. That is the same ting the first dealership wanted to do. At least the first one is offering the use of another vehicle while they have it. As they should since I bought it from them. As long as it is under warranty, I guess you have to go along with them and play by their rules. But before I take it back I am gonna have the injectors serviced by a local Ford factory trained mechanic who has since left them. At least that will save me few bucks. He said he could do it for half the cost of the dealership. I will post as soon as I find something out. Thanks again for the help.

Tim Gant
Go Bama!!!

Last edited by tgant3; 11-02-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking Solution to the problem!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that the solution to my problem was exactly what you guys said. It was the CPS Or CMP as Ford calls it. It finally acted up enough that it finally set a code. I didn't turn the truck off until after they had pulled the code at the dealership. They replaced itfree of charge but I still had to pay $58.00 even though I have the extended service warranty. For the $58 I spent today the next time I will have a spare and change it myself. I had to play their games to get it fixed under warranty (I had to change the fuel filter and have the injectors serviced which probably didn't hurt anything. I am sure they needed it.) Once again thanks to all for the info and maybe this will help someone else out in the future.

Tim Gant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.