Flushed brake fluid and found...(with pics.) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flushed brake fluid and found...(with pics.)

I wanted to post these two pics and get some opinions on what this might be. I have literally done 200+ brake flushes at my old job since they tried to upsell a fluid flush to every customer that walked by. I had always seen really dark fluid extracted from master cylinders and brake lines but I never saw anything like this..

About every 6 months I pull my truck in my shop and give it a quick checkup. I use a pneumatic fluid extractor and get a sample of all the fluids. I changed the brake fluid about 2 years ago and switched to the Valvoline full synthetic. The fluid itself looked fairly clean, but at the bottom of the extractor I found these black flakes that had settled to the bottom. I always clean the extractor really well so I can get an accurate idea of what going on but after seeing this I figured it might be best to get some opinions. Any help is much appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails
Flushed brake fluid and found...(with pics.)-img_20131012_234600_500.jpg   Flushed brake fluid and found...(with pics.)-img_20131012_234638_802.jpg   Flushed brake fluid and found...(with pics.)-img_20131013_030448_529.jpg   Flushed brake fluid and found...(with pics.)-img_20131013_030426_763.jpg  

Last edited by jordison460; 10-12-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it rust from the brake lines?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 PM

It doesn't appear to be rust....but I guess I cant rule that out. The best way to describe it is that it looks like black pepper flakes. I just found it weird that the fluid color itself was still a good color and looked like "normal wear" since the last time I changed it.

Thanks for the quick reply man!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 PM

have you felt it? does it feel like rubber or hose?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:58 PM

You could probably check to see if it is rust by putting a magnet to it.. Like drivininidaho said, I guess it could be rubber too from the hoses that are by the calipers.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:24 PM

Yeah I took a magnet to it first thing after I extracted it--not metal. I just added two more pics to my original post (don't know how to post pics on a reply without a url yet). Its a better pic than the first two but still not the best.

It appears to be a green metallic look now that I wiped it out of the bowl. When I touch it, the flakes instantly break apart and smear. They are not hard or rubbery feeling, but literally the instant they are touched they turn to almost a powder consistency.

Thanks again for the replys..VERY much appreciated!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 PM

JUST FOUND OUT---Meant to put this on last post, but I just noticed that most of these pieces are coming from the master cylinder. For what its worth, there is no sign of external leaking, and when the brakes are applied they respond normally and are in good shape..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.