2001 f350 7.3L power stroke Died and won't start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 f350 7.3L power stroke Died and won't start.

I was driving the truck on a 50 degree rainy day about a week ago when it just QUIT. It was like someone turned the key off. I had to fight the steering and the brakes to get the truck safely off the road. That being said.... A friend of mine told me to replace the CPS, so I did and it didn't work so I took the part back and exchanged it for another CPS and it too did not work. The next thing I tried was to load test the batteries. They were both 800 to 850 CCA. I OHM tested every fuse under the hood and under the dash. I emptied the fuel filter canister and it refills. I topped off the HP oil reservoir but it wasn't really even low. The truck will start if you spray a little ether into the breather but will only run until it burns off the ether.
There is one thing that is happening that I have not seen mentioned in any other thread. When I turn the key to heat the plugs an electric vacuum pump on the passenger side fender area runs for about a full minute before shutting down.
Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't know nuttin....

to the forum!

Maybe Marc will help with your question later tonight.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Conservative and Proud

WELCOME CARDSFAN!!!

Someone should be on very soon that can help ya out with this!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The vacuum pump running is because you've lost the vacuum seal inside one or both front hubs. It will not affect the engine in any way. It will prevent the hubs from locking in the auto position, and if the seal is really bad, your heater/ac will only blow at the windshield.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks,
Are you talking about the front wheel hubs?
Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but I am merely a novis at this point!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't know nuttin....

[QUOTE=cardsfan;52767]Thanks,
Are you talking about the front wheel hubs?
QUOTE]
Yes, the front wheel hubs.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Albie30 Send a message via Yahoo to Albie30
Sounds to me like your not getting any fuel Using ehter on a diesel is not a good idea
Old 11-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

use wd40 instead of ether. you need to open filter box and shoot wd40 ditrectly in intake tube as it is not as vaporous as ether but not as destructive either. my understanding that using ether screws up the end of the glow plugs making them more prone to breaking off in the head when trying to remove/replace them. as for your no start condition- does the tach bounce when you are cranking engine? also does your truck have 4x4 shift knob on the dash? if so the hub seal mentioned earlier is likely correct and really should not have any bearing on the no start condition that i can think of.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tach moves a little but not much.
Rebuilt the IPR and replaced the Fuel filter and no go! Still will not start? Where exactly is the ICP on the 2001 model 7.3L PSD? I heard that you can disconnect it to determine if it is bad.
HELP!!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Disconnecting the ICP did nothing.
The oil level is fine. In fact after rebuilding the IPR I had to refill the resevoir. There are no leaks. A friend of mine has a gauge that he is bringing over tonight to check the high side and low side oil pressure tonight. Some one asked me about voltage to the coil. Where is the coil and what voltage should I have?
How hard is it to take the valve cover off to check the wiring harness under it? I've been told that that connection can go bad or come loose. Is it under both sides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.