EBPV pulsing during warm up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBPV pulsing during warm up

Hello all,

I have a 2001 7.3 with 230K miles on it. I rebuilt the backpressure valve assembly a couple years ago, new guts, seals etc and it has been working fine last winter. Now that is getting cool enough to start using it again I have noticed that after it kicks in for a minute or so it starts to pulse in and out as well as RPM hunt 50 to 100 RPM I can actually see the arm move in and out a very small amount.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen this, is it something that can be a telltale sign of a bigger problem.

Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

try cleaning the ebp tube/sensor. Located off p/s manifold in front, and runs to front of motor, below hpop.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is your oil level OK?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Oil level is good. I cleaned the tube and sensor this weekend. ( had to actually pull the cam gear cover the tube/sensor is mounted to because the fittings were so tight). The tube an sensor were quite clogged with soot. I re installed everything and this morning the EBPV started pulsing again after about a minute of operation. No signs of any leaks around the EBPV housing. Any other ideas or possible causes?

On a side note, hucorey how do you like you BTS trans? I have been looking at one for quite a while and have heard good things about them.

Thanks all!!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does it only pulse when cold, then goes away when warmed up? If so, that's normal. If I were you, living in FL, I'd just unhook it. It serves no purpose that live in temperate climates. Mines gutted and unhooked and so is my exhaust flange butterfly, and I'm in Ohio. Truck doesn't take any longer to warm up in 0* weather than with the EBPV.

Love the BTS. :thumbup:
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM

I live in FL but currently in OR and may be heading up to AK so I think I should keep it. in previous winter seasons up here in OR, it has always worked with no pulsing would engage and stay until warm or brake pressed. the pulsing is something new that I have never seen/heard before even before I rebuilt the pedestal with new parts it never pulsed.

I just want to make sure that there is no underlying bigger picture issue causing the pulsing.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine does this when warming up in cold weather and was told it was normal. Of course, that doesn't mean it is, just what I was told Only does it when idling and stops when I go to take off or tap the brake, so I never really worried about it.
Guess I'll watch this thread too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
backpressure valve, ebpv, warm up valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.