7.3 shuts off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 shuts off

Ok guys first post here and have a problem with my 02 7.3 f450 2wd. Had cps and fule pressure regulator sensor by fuel filter and the fule pressure sensor on the left front bank by valve cover all replaced . Today I was able to re-start it after it shut off and for the first time the engine light came on so I had a guy scan it with a snap on scanner but showed no code , he accidentally reset the computer and it runs fine now however engine cuts on and off sometimes over 2500 rpm's any ideas would be great help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Anytime you have a problem like that, and No Codes Found with the right scanner, I think Fuel Delivery (you get no code if you simply ran-out).

So, filter/pump/pickup/empty are where to start.
How low is the gauge now? Around 1/4?
How old is the Filter?
When it dies, turn the key off immediately and open the drain valve (yellow lever) and see what's there.
There are "screens" in the mixer (in the tank) that could be clogged maybe too.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Anytime you have a problem like that, and No Codes Found with the right scanner, I think Fuel Delivery (you get no code if you simply ran-out).

So, filter/pump/pickup/empty are where to start.
How low is the gauge now? Around 1/4?
How old is the Filter?
When it dies, turn the key off immediately and open the drain valve (yellow lever) and see what's there.
There are "screens" in the mixer (in the tank) that could be clogged maybe too.
Thanks for the reply so your saying screens are more likely to clog @ 1/4 tank ? like you said the tank is right at 1/4 now. The filter may have 1000 miles on it . Should be easy to check the sceens in tank since its a dump truck but not sure any tips ?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not a clog, but rather a crack that is allowing air to get sucked instead of fuel. It's a fairly common problem to have that happen on our trucks.

Here's another recent thread -> Fuel pump sending unit
Old 10-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so I cleand the screens in the mixer they were very dirty but not cloged and no visual cracks. Motor still shuts off in the higer rpm's with a full tank fuel and sometimes the cel light comes on and then goes off when I restart motor.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a weak fuel pump then. Before I jump to that conclusion, are you running tunes of any sort? If so, try going back to "stock" and seeing if that solves the problem.

Since you're messing with the fuel system anyway, might as well do the hutch mod. Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Having issues at higher RPMs is going to be fuel or oil pressure related. Fueling issues being the more probable culprit. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Oil?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply ,Fuel filter and oil filter have less than 2k. When I say it shuts off for a second or two but its rather violent on and off like switching motor on and off. Does that sound more like a pump ? The truck is bone stock except for turbo back exaust and intake so no tunes except for the ones that use to come out of the now broken radio.

Last edited by Dually7.3; 10-09-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

You said your buddy accidentally reset the computer. Was that before or after he tried pulling codes?

Starving for fuel under hard accel can feel like the engine died. Basically it's dumping fuel, and then suddenly doesn't have any. Gauges would be of great help here. Does it have issues while driving easy, or just under hard throttle?

I forget the "bucket test" for the pump, but it's something like disconnecting fuel lines and seeing how long it takes the pump to fill a 5 gallon bucket with fuel. I would suggest a jerry can so you can easily replace what you take out.

For the sake of doing easy stuff first, try a new fuel filter. It's possible that you got a bad tank of fuel and clogged that one up. I'm assuming this issue is relatively recent of course.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
You said your buddy accidentally reset the computer. Was that before or after he tried pulling codes?

Starving for fuel under hard accel can feel like the engine died. Basically it's dumping fuel, and then suddenly doesn't have any. Gauges would be of great help here. Does it have issues while driving easy, or just under hard throttle?

I forget the "bucket test" for the pump, but it's something like disconnecting fuel lines and seeing how long it takes the pump to fill a 5 gallon bucket with fuel. I would suggest a jerry can so you can easily replace what you take out.

For the sake of doing easy stuff first, try a new fuel filter. It's possible that you got a bad tank of fuel and clogged that one up. I'm assuming this issue is relatively recent of course.
He tried pulling codes before he reset it by accident and got nothing. He though maby the trucks computer was going cause it wasn't holding the codes. Maby his snap-on scanner didn't have the correct softwere IDK. Its not always shutting down under load yesterday it was warming up for about 20 min while I loaded a machine on the trailer and when we went to drive away as I gave it a little throttle it just died.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could my trucks symptoms be a bad IDM ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.