Hissing sound - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hissing sound

Hi,
newbie here. I purchased a 2000 F250 used with about 240,000 miles back in July. I have added about 4,000 miles since then, and have had no problems with the engine. Yesterday and today I noticed on the way to work a hissing sound from the other side of the firewall. It wasn't so bad yesterday, but did it all the way to work today on and off. My trip is about 20 miles one way, cruising at 55-65 MPH. The noise doesn't start until the engine is warmed up into the "normal" range. Sorry, I don't have any gauges yet. The engine warms until it is just at the bottom of the normal range, and stays there. That's when the noise starts. A hissing comes on quickly, along with a slight but noticeable drop in power. The noise really sounds like a boost leak. It will last anywhere from about 10 seconds up to several minutes. Then it will stop just as quickly as it started, with a whistle sound just as it stops, sounding almost like a waste gate on a WRX or something. When it stops, the power comes back. It will then happen again after a short time. The temperature recently dropped out here, and this morning on my way to work it was 32 degrees. It happens while cruising in overdrive at constant speed, 55 mph (about 1,700 rpm) to 65 MPH (about 2,000 rpm). It does it with cruise control on and off.

I checked all the red and green lines, and all the intercooler lines. Nothing appears to be loose or disconnected. I read the sticky about the exhaust back pressure valve. The sensor was replaced by the dealership before I bought the truck. I want to think that this noise is the exhaust back pressure valve opening and closing, but I am confused. It just started when it got cold outside, making me think it is the EBPV, but why is the noise not starting until AFTER the engine is warm? And why is the noise happening on and off for the entire trip? Wouldn't the valve be closed to start until the engine is warm, then open, and stay open? Is this normal, or may I have a sensor or something that is bad? Or is it not the EBPV?

Last edited by delta99; 10-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like your EBPV is sticking.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz186 View Post
Sounds like your EBPV is sticking.

That's gotta be what it is. Boost leaks wouldn't come and go, they would be a constant loss of power
Old 10-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah and I checked all the boost connections and they are fine. I unplugged it at the pedestal and it didn't do it today at all. I think I'll just roll like that. Thanks for the replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.