Rough Idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2006, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough Idle

I just purchased a 1999 ford f350 with a 7.3l powerstroke. Upon purchasing the truck I had to have the transmission rebuilt. My mechanic also said he thought something was going on with cylinder 3. The truck has 80,000 miles. The truck has a constant white smoke coming from the exhaust, and idles a little rough. Is this normal? When I first brought the truck to him the computer showed numerous codes, but after fixing the transmission and reconnecting the battery the codes haven't shown back up. I have been driving it for a day, and still no engine light has come on. However it still idles a little rough, and the white smoke isn't overwhelming but constant. I would greatly appreciate any advice to my problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 08:33 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

White smoke usually is caused by cold conditions. It should stop after running for a few min. Have the injectors buzzed by a good mechanic. The scan tool should catch a problem.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Help again

I had the injectors buzzed, and the injectors aren't the problem. We even checked the mapping sensor due to the amout of white smoke. The mapping sensor isn't the problem. The computer read something wrong with cylinder 3. My mechanic says he thinks it's one of two computers. Does this sound right? I need some help. Again the truck is missing and has a constant white smoke.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Banned

did he run a cylender contribution test? An injector buzz test only tests the injectors electrically, while the contrubution test will help test the mechanical portion of the injectors
Old 10-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not sure if he did. I don't think so though. Would bad injectors cause the constant white smoke and rough idle? Like I said before we have narrowed it down to cylinder 3. I just don't know the extend of damage that could have taken place. When driving the vehicle normally you wouldn't know there was a problem. Its just when you are idling. How much would it cost to fix the injector?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned

actuall you shouldnt get white smoke after the motor has warmed up.....does it always smoke white?? im wondering if you dont have coolant getting into that cylender if its always smoking white....
Old 10-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes there is always white smoke. What does this mean?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Jon

Coolant

That my friend is what that means.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't know alot about engines. So if colant is getting into engine what needs to be fixed? Would it be a head gasket? The truck runs cool. I haven't driven it enough to see if it is using alot of coolant.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I forgot to mention that the smoke has a very strong Diesel smell, so maybe it's more of a light blue smoke that a white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.