99 7.3 possible injector issue? glow plugs? blow-by? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 7.3 possible injector issue? glow plugs? blow-by?

Hey ya'll. I want to start this thread out by saying I am happy to be back. I just purchased a 99 f-350 crew 7.3 with a 6 speed. Before I joined the coast guard I was on here frequently with questions regarding my ole 95 f-350. It feels good to be back!

As for the issues at hand... I picked the truck up about 3 weeks ago for a great deal. I was told it needed glow plugs. I was told when it gets a little colder it has a hard time starting. I live in New Orleans so I thought this was a little bit funny but purchase anyways. The truck only has 118K original miles. but definitely rode hard and put away wet.

The truck hasn't had much of a hard time starting but when I hop in it seems to ride rough until I get up to operating temp. hard to get over 2k RPMS, starts out rough almost like it has a slight miss until about 10 minutes of drive everything seems to get running well. If I hammer on the pedal I will get a small amount of black smoke but am running a Diablo tuner on 85HP. He said a HPOP line blew and he changed it out recently also.

Could I have a bad injector? I already bought glow plugs and a diesel compression tester. I will be conducting this test hopefully this weekend..

I also am a little nervous about the blow-by.. I know this topic has been beaten to death with 7.3's but this thing looks like its on fire at stop lights. Previous owner has done the CCV mod out towards the back of the truck and the thing really puts out a steady stream of smoke. I don't have any oil consumption yet and the oil looks great its not even black! looks like it was freshly poured out of the rotella container about 1k miles threw the oils cycle.
I did the oil cap test and it didn't blow off but I dont know if that test is accurate after the CCV mod.. What do ya'll think? Can injector issues cause some type of "blow by" bad injector o rings possibly

Am I correct about thinking that a injector buzz test will not tell me if an injector has mechanical issues? what should be my tests while I have the valve covers off? I don't have a quality scan tool to do injector buzz or the cylinder participation tests. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump? no one has any ideas? I just read swamp diesels injector trouble shooting guide and it looks like it could very well be a poppet valve o-ring.. Can this cause blowby?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

put the ccv back to stock, then check the oil fill cap while idling.

Check/ohm the connection at the UVCH as well.

May need to get it scanned or buy an AE..
Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

TEST #1 5 cranks warm

Cylinder #1 - 340PSI
Cylinder #2 - 340PSI
Cylinder #3 - 380PSI
Cylinder #4 - 340PSI
Cylinder #5 - 360PSI
Cylinder #6 - 320PSI
Cylinder #7 - 340PSI
Cylinder #8 - 330PSI

TEST #2 8 cranks warm

Cylinder #1 - 360PSI
Cylinder #2 - 360PSI
Cylinder #3 - 360PSI
Cylinder #4 - 350PSI
Cylinder #5 - 360PSI
Cylinder #6 - 320PSI
Cylinder #7 - 340PSI
Cylinder #8 - 330PSI

When I say warm the truck was driven to the garage about 10-15 mins away and I probably started the comp test about 5 hr's after. I live in New Orleans 7ft about sea level numbers seem a little low to me.. I used the cheap harbor freight comp test and it had a slight leak on the brass fittings near the tester.. Could it of cuased my low readings? 118K miles number 6 only 320? I believe I have injector issues can that give me low readings? Any input appreciated. I am going to do a cold reading tonight
Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 AM

think your numbers are fine. All consistant and within, what..10%. Plus, your gauge leaks and your using a $10.00 gauge as well.

When my ccv was routed to open air, i saw a steady stream of smoke as well. I replumbed it back to stock because of the smell at stoplights. God was that bad!

Change the oil, and since its getn to cold season, throw in 5w/40 syn. Also, inspect/make sure the ebpv isnt sticking on you, causing the 2k max rpm. Also, ohm/re-torque the injector hold down and rocker bolts...
Attached Thumbnails
99 7.3 possible injector issue? glow plugs? blow-by?-injectorholddownrockerbolts.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc GP & INJ OHM.doc (23.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Timmyboy, I was nervous about the blow-by so I am happy I have been in the valve cover to see what has been going on in there.I also appreciate the OHM tests for the GP & INJ I will do all this work tonight also. Anything else I should just check or clear while i'm in there?

Do you guys think this valve cover looks normal? Looks to me like more then average shavings. It was like this on both sides. here a picture of my turbo also. possibly new?

Old 09-30-2013, 02:54 PM

no worries, Eatroost...its why were here...ya man, seems to be a bit "flaky" in there, from the pics. Have you drained the oil/how much "fuzz" is on the drainbolt/inpan. However, the turbo/fins look great.

While covers are off, you can do the 50 cent mod...keeps the connector under the vc from coming undone
Attached Thumbnails
99 7.3 possible injector issue? glow plugs? blow-by?-50-cent-mod.jpg   99 7.3 possible injector issue? glow plugs? blow-by?-50-cent-mod-2.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I had 5 bad glow plugs 3 on drivers side 2 on pass. 4 failed ohm test and 1 failed the "farmers" test of hooking it up hot and watching it heat up. This wouldn't cause the miss when cold correct? those things don't heat the cylinders that much! I ohmed out the drivers side injectors and all where within spec at 3.2 ohm's going to do passenger side later tonight. Its a pain in the butt getting to the harness!

The more I research the more I think I have a worn poppet in 1 of my injectors. Is there anyway to test them while I have the valve cover off? If I need to replace id like to do it now while the valve covers are off. I am also trying to get a friend to bring the computer over tomorrow night he doesn't know if he can borrow it from work though.

I read about starting the truck with the covers off and looking to see if the oil exhuast tubes on the injectors are spitting oil. Is this an accurate test? I am almost at the point where I want to just start shopping for some performance injectors if ya'll think I have a good engine on my hands.

Please let me know what you guys think. Ultimately I am scared to invest in a truck that I am not sure is solid.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 PM

got me one ofthese, for this reason...Powerstroke 7 3 Valve Cover Wiring Harness Connector | eBay

your miss at "cold" would definitely contribute to bad gp's, bud. Replace with motorcraft ONLY!

Dont think you can "find" a bad poppet, without having the injector out/tested/bench tested.

You can fire off truck with vc's off, to watch oil squirt. It'll tell ya what ones, if any, aren't firing. Make sure though, ince you removed the gp's, that you vacuum out the cylinders or you'd really have a mess on ur hands, or bump the motor while gp's are out and i wanna say, unplug both harnesses so the motor doesnt fire off. That will expell oil out the cylinders. Dont want a hydrolock situation.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Timmy its like you read my mind! I sprayed the oil out of the holes before I removed the GP's and I used all motorcrafts after reading the horror stories of autolites.. bought them and even brought them back for motorcrafts! truck fired right up I seen a you tube video of testing injectors by watching the oil spouts and unplugging the injectors.. cylinder 1 and 2 had no oil coming out of them for the 10 mins I had it running. all the others where spouting away. I also unplugged these injectors when the truck was running and it made NO difference when they where unplugged on how the truck was idling. I am pretty confident I at least need cylinder 1 and 2 injectors. Tommorow I will start it again and attempt to get a voltage reading out of the plug that goes into these injectors to rule out the harness on the valvecover gasket.

Do you still think I need a cylinder comp test and buzz? I may just send all 8 out a little tight on cash to be doing a set of injectors and if I do I might as well got stage 1 and run them with my diablo tuner

the low comp readings and shavings make me hisatiant to spend the money on the truck.. Not sure what I should do... I thought with 118 miles this truck had plenty of life left in her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.