7.3L No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L No Start

Truck ran fine last week. This week? Not so much.

Have replaced CPS twice, IDM, checked all fuses, checked UVCH, just went out and picked up the scanner to do a buzz test.

All 8 injectors are BARELY audible. If your not under the hood with your head close to the valve cover, you cant hear anything.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 PM

As a side note, only code stored in PCM is GPCR communication error. Everything else checks good.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM

Update : Had a friend over today so was able to actually do a buzz test while I was under the hood. Still can barely hear anything, but I did find out that during the buzz test it never actually fires individual injectors. It buzzes all 8 for a long pulse at the start of the test, and then all 8 do the short buzz together, 8 times. Still returns as a pass, no codes present.

Anybody have any ideas where to start looking? Have already replaced the UVCH's, both sides
Old 09-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So next, Fuel delivery and the HiPres Oil System.

On the scanner, what do you get for cranking RPM - ICP pressure and IPR percentage?

Also, is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check). Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail). Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?).

AND, always post your trucks particulars (they are Not all the same). What yr? What Mods? Is it "chipped" etc...
Old 09-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

so, nothing like this...

Old 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If all 8 barely buzzed then you have bad batteries or low voltage to the IDM. Use another vehicle to hook up jumper cables then do a buzz test. Check your grounds too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-29-2013, 09:44 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Been working extreme hours lately.

Truck is a 2000 Excursion Limited, 4x4, auto, 7.3

While cranking solus reads over 100 rpm, about 2200psi, EPR at about 40 percent. There is fuel in the bowl, it does refill, I have not hooked a pressure gauge into it yet but I will be trying to at some point this week.

Solus says my fuel PW comes up to about 3.9 to 4 ms while cranking, but I still have no audible buzz coming from any injector. I have had three different IDM's in the truck, Every buzz test returns as a pass, but there is no buzz. if I unplug any given injector it will return the code for high to low open for that particular injector.

So I jumped into wiring diagnostic, Pulled the connector off the IDM, and hooked a halogen bulb into pins 14 and 26 (Power and Ground for the IDM) and measured over 12v under load. Have checked continuity between in 2 of the IDM and pin 91 of the PCM, pin 16 of the IDM and pin 96 of the PCM, pin 4 of the IDM and pin 48 of the PCM, and pin 7 of the IDM and pin 95 of the PCM. All have good continuity.

Took my spare IDM's and put them into my 94 just to make sure they were still good after sitting on the shelf, and they all start and run that truck fine.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 PM

Well I figured it out. 8 stuck injectors. Guess now is as good a time as any to buy some swamps.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:44 PM

If anybody has some insight as to what could cause all 8 to physically stick ins appreciate it. Water in fuel? Oil contaminants?

Old 10-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes. Excessive water will wipe them out.
What did you have for battery voltage while cranking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.