My 01 7.3 keeps stalling/dying. Help? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 01 7.3 keeps stalling/dying. Help?

Hey all. I have a new issue with my Ford. About 4 days ago, while coming down the mountain from hunting, my truck started stalling. It would basically seem to shut off, the check engine light would flash, the water in fuel light would flash and the wait to start light would come on. Still had power but the throttle wouldn't work for around 3 seconds. After letting off the throttle for that time and re engaging it, it would start running fine. It has done this about 20 times since then. The other night as I was coming off the freeway, my truck suddenly completely turned off. I lost all power steering, braking and just coasted to a stop. After putting it in park, I started it right up and drove home. Today I replaced the fuel filter hoping that would help. It shutoff once in the driveway and stalled twice coming home. I have used a water absorbent/cleaner in the tank to no avail. Im starting to get scared to think of yet another problem from this thing I recently purchased. Has anyone seen this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Anytime we have a problem like that, I think the first thing to do is to replace the CPS. They're not expensive and you should carry a spare anyway (if it didn't fix it, keep the old one as yours).

The next thing to do would be to get the truck scanned (unfortunately you need a professional scanner for this, the cheap ones the Auto Parts have aren't good enough) to find out what codes have "set" the light...
Old 09-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has a check engine light most of the time due to the banks big hoss mod that was unstalled in the truck. I have had it scanned before several times and all the codes come back with stuff to do with the banks. Stuff like exhaust pressure fault or something similar. I would say the light is on about half the time. I have a spare cam sensor I will install and see if that does something.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep

Yep it's the crank positioning sensor down below the water pump my 2000 f350 7.3 did the same exact thing
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

These are classic CPS issues, in the old days when the CPS failed they left you just as if someone shut the key off and tossed it out the window and there was no restarting the truck until this was replaced. This was when Ford was getting $160 for them. Now we see all sorts of intermittent problems being associated with them. As already stated, you should have a spare any way, otherwise I am not a fan of throwing parts at a problem. If this doesn't work I would pull any chip or programmed tune and return to stock.

Please fill out your signature in the User CP so we know what we are working on along with everything you have done to it. Makes our job much easier and we don't have to keep asking the same questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.