2000 F250 7.3 loss of power, no start, black smoke while cranking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F250 7.3 loss of power, no start, black smoke while cranking

Hello everyone, I went to leave my home yesterday and the truck started and ran fine. I went to pull out of the driveway and the truck lost all power. It would not climb to speed with the pedal to the floor (felt similar to a plugged catalytic converter on a gasser).

I immediately turned around and drove back up the drive. Shut the truck down and restarted but loped badly at idle and kept trying to stall. The truck has never given me problems before and I am at a loss. I talked to a few mechanics and tried a few things.

The tuner has been disconnected, CPS was replaced, ICP was unplugged, Fuel filter was replaced, fuel pump is pumping, intake is clear with no restrictions, and a few other things have been tried. Now the truck will not start 90% of the time but will occasionally start but lope badly. Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Any dash lights coming on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If there is a cel could be uvch came disconnected. This just happened to mine there is a sticky in the tech files about it

Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The check engine light came on seconds before it happened. I went to check the codes and there were none. Somehow the computer got reset, even though the battery never died and I didn't disconnect the terminals. Thanks for the replies, guys.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could have been the scan tool some scan tools might not be able to access the idm to retrieve codes

Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

The scanner I used didn't pick up anything either. My problem recently was my uvch also. I did the 50 cent mod to fix it. If you got the time it might be worth it to take off the valve covers and check out the connectors

Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I used a scanner that was compatible with this truck. It was borrowed from a buddy that works at NAPA. The presets on the radio were reset too so I know the computer was reset somehow. Is there any way to tell which side has the bad harness to save some time? Or any other possible problems?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Your going to have to get the cel to come back on for it to tell you weather its bank one or two if that's the problem

Old 09-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, so I took the valve cover off on the driver side and sure enough, it was unplugged. Plugged it back in, put everything back together and it fired right up. The problem now is that when revved up it has a slight misfire which never happened before. It idles fine and has full power when opened up. But around 1500 rpm it has a slight misfire. The longer the truck ran, the less it did it. Not sure what this is now. Thanks to everyone who replied!!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Just so you know, it'll get disconnected again. U might wanna do the 50 cent mod on both harnesses. That'll be the cheapest route to prevent it from happening again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, fuel, icp, ipr, no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.