HELP 7.3 water pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP 7.3 water pump

So I tackled the job of replacing the water pump yesterday and upon getting it all together it leaked like CRAZY I bet it was losing a gallon every 5 minutes. I investigated it further and the thermostat housing looked to contributing so I took it apart and I did have the gasket on the wrong way (under the thermostat not on top) and that helped a little bit but it still continued to leak some. The only other thing I could think of was the lower outlet that you take off the old one needed a O ring but I couldn't find one when taking it apart so I used silicone, and it doesn't look like any coolants coming from their. Any hints on what I could of done would be much appreciated Im pretty depressed about this and need my truck back on the road thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you replace the upper pipe by the tstat? If you re-used it and it was pretty marred up, that might be your issue.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya I re used it it didn't look good and leaked a very slight amount before but nothing real noticeable got a billet one on the way but want to be able to drive it till it gets here

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Years ago I bought an AC delco water pump and it leaked till I replaced it with a Ford one. Some of the replacement parts are a little out of spec.
you should've gotten a lower tube, thermostat and water pump gaskets/O rings with the new water pump. Sometimes you have to replace the thermostat neck and lower tube ( some Pumps come with the tube)
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I got everything but the lower tube and thermostats and the o ring for the heater hose tube would rtv on the housing help?

Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosshurlow1 View Post
I got everything but the lower tube and thermostats and the o ring for the heater hose tube would rtv on the housing help?

RTV won't help or it didn't mine.
I tried a new neck didn't help. Some of the orings are out of spec. to.
Find out which one is leaking and try a factory oring, But with it warm now it'll be worse when it cold. The mexican made pumps are a little different. I measured agianst a factory one. Here's the next pump I will buy if I don't use a Motorcraft one.
Duralast New/Water Pump (DWP-9128) | 2000 Ford F350 Super Duty P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders F 7.3L Turbo Diesel | AutoZone.com

Pressure test your's and see exactly where it's leaking. Lot of people overlook the
Plastic tank I've had two develop invisible cracks and would leak only down to a certian point.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I went with a dieselsite water pump when I did mine, no issues
Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I only use the Airtex pumps, this is what Ford used in them stock. Northern Auto sells them for under $100. It should have come with all the o rings and replacement lower neck which I don't use. The thermostat housing should never be reused, unless it is a emergency and you have no other choice. Only other option is to buy one of the billet housings from dieselsite. But at $15 from Ford I have always just used a new housing instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.