High Pressure Oil Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Pressure Oil Problems

I will tell this as brief as I can:

I have had, and I still am, the worst problem with my truck ever. It started with the HPOP rear plug beginning to leak oil. Following the "On-engine" instructions from International, I replaced the o-ring and installed the bolt using the loctite provided with the kit. (Yes the threads were oil-free in the pump) As I torqued the bolt to spec, I felt the dreaded strip feeling before the click of the torque wrench. On my test run, the bolt blew out of the hole. I thought about a heli-coil but considering my mileage, I bought a replacement pump as maintenance. I replaced the o-rings in the IPR as well. The truck started right up after the new pump replacement, but after about 3 minutes it suddenly died and would not start again. After blocking off the oil to the passenger side bank, I got the truck started on 4-cylinders telling me I had a high pressure oil leak in the passenger side 4. I narrowed the problem down to injector 3. Instead of monkeying with it, I bought a replacement injector. I followed all instruction on how to do this, including draining the oil in the rail with the 2 plugs under the valve cover etc. I filled the rail and the reservoir in the HPOP with oil and after a bout 4 seconds, the truck fired right up. The idle was very loud and "rattly" like a Cummins sounds (this is not a knock on Cummins but those of you who know what I mean will understand). The truck ran VERY rough, especially at 1750 RPM in motion, like a badly slipping transmission. I know the truck has to purge air, but I know this is a little extreme. Also, for the first time ever my "Service Engine Soon" light illuminated. I unplugged the ICP and the truck ran much quieter and better.

My questions are 1- Was the injector problem related to the HPOP issue or just a coincidence? 2- Why would the truck run differently now after the injector replacement?

I am getting the truck scanned for codes tomorrow, but this issue is just not making sense to me. Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any ideas to share? Is it best to replace all injectors and sensors to make the HPO system "new"?

Thanks to all who reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Sounds to me like you have air trapped in the HPO system. It can be a real pain to purge this and it will be hard to start and run like crap until it is purged. Best way I have found is to take it out and drive it like you stole it, don't be easy on the skinny pedal either!!!!!! This is the fastest and most fun way to purge the air out, add a ricer in the slow lane for extra giggles.
Later
Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM

FYI, problem solved by replacement of all injectors. I am still not sure of why this all happened at once. However, I am glad to have it behind me.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Glad you got it fixed. Too bad it took all that. The "drive it like you stole it" advice is great for purging air, if you ever have the misfortune of dealing with air in the system again. It's not so much the heavy throttle as it is the high rpm's that get the system purged faster. Treating it like a drag car is just the fun way to go about it.

Obviously, if your injectors are shot, driving like a bum isn't going to help, but if it's just air in the system, it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.