99 & 2001 7.3 differences? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 & 2001 7.3 differences?

I have two 350 SD's a 99 (12/98) and 01 (9/00)
What is the difference in the base engine. Can I swap them?
The 2001 model looks to have a bigger turbo. and an air heater. Thats the only visible difference I see. The reason I want to change over is the 99 has 567,000 and a tapping lifter. The 2001 has 189.000 with some body rust in truck.
99 is MT and 01 is AT wonder all the work I'm looking at?
Anyone done a project like this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

congrats on the mileage...

your "E"99, yes, has a smaller turbo, no AIH, smaller plenums where "Y" pipe connects, smaller hpop (15*)...

Should be a plug/play job, but dont quote me on that..

Your e99 "lifter" problem, is probably more of a #8, air in fuel injection problem. Doing the HUTCH mod and possibly a FRx..(riffraff diesel), would cure it.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
congrats on the mileage...

your "E"99, yes, has a smaller turbo, no AIH, smaller plenums where "Y" pipe connects, smaller hpop (15*)...

Should be a plug/play job, but dont quote me on that..

Your e99 "lifter" problem, is probably more of a #8, air in fuel injection problem. Doing the HUTCH mod and possibly a FRx..(riffraff diesel), would cure it.
I'm thinking the injectors are bigger also. I replaced 6 injectors and supply pump not long ago. Since the problem just started recently It could be air but I don't think so. I going to run it on a breakout box before making final decision. I started running my other 2001 350 and I like the added power as the truck goes over the hills easier than the 99 did. I justy don't want to put together a mismatched combo that is nothing but trouble. The computer and driver module is another concern I have. I attacehd pictures of both the 01 is the flatbed you can see which one looks better. The flatbed is rusted out and the cab has a bad corner and rocker panel and some dofus cleaned the paint with a brillo pad. Just trying to find out of playing doctor frankinstien will be worthwhile.
Attached Thumbnails
99 & 2001 7.3 differences?-dscn0557.jpg   99 & 2001 7.3 differences?-dscn0559.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

thats a head scratcher...anyway you can post a pic of the motor from the supposed "E" 99 ? Whats thrown me off, is the "diesel" door badge and not the "powerstroke v8" badge, you'd see on the fenders, of an E99
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
thats a head scratcher...anyway you can post a pic of the motor from the supposed "E" 99 ? Whats thrown me off, is the "diesel" door badge and not the "powerstroke v8" badge, you'd see on the fenders, of an E99
Not all e99 had the fender badge, some did have the door badge, the "late early 99s" had the door badge. but i am confused as well, unless the blue 01 with the flat bed has replaced head lights from 99-00 the 01-04s had clear headlights. as for the white truck cant tell but it could be a e99. The engine pics will determine for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.