Fuse Box Issue? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuse Box Issue?

Been having an intermittent electrical issue in the cab. I keep losing power to the windows, radio, map lights, glove box light, and the light in the engine compartment. Literally ANYTHING will trigger the power to go out or come back on. Banging on the dash does not work---a lot of the research I did had posts where people were banging on the dash and that would get power back on...not in my case so I figured it may be something different. Anyway---Ive checked the grounds, checked for wire damage, checked relays etc.. Most people seem to get results from replacing the GEM Module but my truck doesn't have one

I have seen some fixes for this problem on here, but they either involved trucks that just need a GEM replacement or by rigging relays and wires up separately to fix the problem (which Im cool with doing) but didn't know if anyone on here has had any experience with actually FINDING the problem and repairing it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have a look at this connector -> POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL CORROSION if your truck is like mine......
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the reply--Im HOPING that I fixed the issue. I noticed that opening and closing the driver side door seemed to trigger the issue more than anything else. I pulled the panel off and noticed a bunch of junk caked up in the harnesses going to the door lock. I pulled them off and cleaned them with lectra-motive and hooked them back up. So far Ive opened and closed the door about 50 times and it hasn't triggered any power loss. Any reason why this may have fixed the issue?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 PM

So just a quick update if anyone else is having this issue---I removed the drivers side door panel and found the wire harnesses going to the actuator were covered in dirt and slightly corroded. I cleaned them off and put dielectric grease on them and this has fixed the problem so far. Everything works like it should and I have not had the issue since.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:55 PM

FALSE ALARM!! Cleaning the actuator harness and door sensors worked instantly. Didn't have the problem at all...until just now.

Open to suggestions if yall have any!!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had this omen for a while.....#35 fuse or #41 fuse would pop.. (both instrument cluster).

I bought a fault finder tool,...and traced a shorted wire to the rear dome light. Pulled panels and headliner down to inspect wire to light, it looked ok. plugged light assembly, put the light assembly back up (3 screws) and when I tightened the last screw I heard the fuse pop. Took the assembly back down and saw a cut in the wire about an inch from the plug. Tightening the assembly down was making it ground and short....fixed it and all is good now. It can be allot of different things, this just happened to be my problem and I also read one other that had the same problem same fix.

The service guy at FORD tried to tell me I needed to replace my fuse box saying the short was in the Junction box. They look somewhere online to troubleshoot stuff, and him looking and telling me out of 440 complaints of this 150 were fixed by replacing the fuse box. .......... I thought what about the other 300 cases??

Hollywood~

Last edited by Hollywood691; 09-18-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.