Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I'm sick, need engine?

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Jon 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1999 with 264000 on it. I already have one with 320000 and have had a 1996 that had over 400000 on it when I sold it, so I know these motors last if you take care of them. This new truck had a problem. It had a hiccup every once in a while at idle. It also had a few oil leaks, so I sent it to a shop last week. They called me today and said that the air box was not hooked up and it got dirt in the turbo and I need a new motor. I could believe that, but it still has more power than my other truck. They say it is loosing all compression into the crankcase. It does blow a little smoke out of the oil filler tube when the cap is off. The service engine light came on when I pulled a trailer up a hill and stayed on for a while after I got over it. Does this sound plausible?

If so, where is the best place to get an engine? I am in Missouri. What is the difference between a long block, short block, or complete engine? It's a 99, what engine will fit? (1999-2003 or what)

I'm sick about it already, but I need to salvage what I can. Thanks, MR

#2 ·
The stock 99 had a bit more power then your 96.

What is the build date of the truck? Airbox issues were a big thing in the early 99's. You're probably losing compression because of the dirt that got in the cylinders and it probably fried your turbo/compressor wheel.

Do you plan on doing it yourself? When it comes to replacing these engine's alot of people actually go to a Cummins because in the long run they're pretty simple to get more power and they last forever.
If you're interested in that I can give you links.

*note: I've never done this, so just giving you some info that I've seen.

#3 ·
More info

The new 99 has more power than the 99 that I have now. I don't know what I am going to do. I might have to do it myself if it is going to cost a bunch. Never thought about a Cummins, how would it adapt and fit with all the gauges and such?

Thanks

#4 ·
It's probably going to cost a pretty penny. If you've never done something like this, or really any major modifications similar you'd probably be better off having someone else do it for you.

#5 ·
I dunno......

Man I wouldn't jump to the conclusion you need a new motor just yet. I would fix/get a new air box. I have heard of some outlandish garbage coming from shops. There are other things that can cause an engine to miss!! I might fix the airbox and at the very least take it somewhere else without mentioning what the other shop said. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and go buy a friggin motor!!!!

G
#7 ·
Blow bye!

You can tell on the 7.3's when the motor is on its way out just bye taking the filler cap off while running. I have seen some go along time like that but more often then not its a big problem. The turbo is the easy thing to replace but if dirt got into the turbo there is a 99% chance it dusted the cylender walls. Now we have done several complete rebuilds at our shop recently because Ford just released the 7.3 rebuild kit. Great kit. We have a local machine shop to all the special work. On the 3 we have done it averaged about $1500 less then a crate motor. They all had over 400,000 miles. If it's an early 99 it is a little different then the rest but the main engine will work either way.

#8 ·
Granted, he does have a decent amount of miles on his truck. But for what it's worth, I would NEVER take my truck to a shop because it wasn't running right, let them tell me that I needed a new engine because it was dusted, then just take their word for it. Simply put, you'd have to be a fool to drop 6-10k on a new engine on one shop's diagnosis. I have seen this happen multiple times before where shops told guys they need a new engine, tranny or even both and it turns out they end up getting a second opinion and finding out it wasn't anything really serious, or nearly that expensive.

Get a second and even third opinion before spending that kind of cash. Just my two cents worth. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.