I'm sick, need engine? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm sick, need engine?

I just bought a 1999 with 264000 on it. I already have one with 320000 and have had a 1996 that had over 400000 on it when I sold it, so I know these motors last if you take care of them. This new truck had a problem. It had a hiccup every once in a while at idle. It also had a few oil leaks, so I sent it to a shop last week. They called me today and said that the air box was not hooked up and it got dirt in the turbo and I need a new motor. I could believe that, but it still has more power than my other truck. They say it is loosing all compression into the crankcase. It does blow a little smoke out of the oil filler tube when the cap is off. The service engine light came on when I pulled a trailer up a hill and stayed on for a while after I got over it. Does this sound plausible?

If so, where is the best place to get an engine? I am in Missouri. What is the difference between a long block, short block, or complete engine? It's a 99, what engine will fit? (1999-2003 or what)

I'm sick about it already, but I need to salvage what I can. Thanks, MR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 03:20 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The stock 99 had a bit more power then your 96.

What is the build date of the truck? Airbox issues were a big thing in the early 99's. You're probably losing compression because of the dirt that got in the cylinders and it probably fried your turbo/compressor wheel.

Do you plan on doing it yourself? When it comes to replacing these engine's alot of people actually go to a Cummins because in the long run they're pretty simple to get more power and they last forever.
If you're interested in that I can give you links.

*note: I've never done this, so just giving you some info that I've seen.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More info

The new 99 has more power than the 99 that I have now. I don't know what I am going to do. I might have to do it myself if it is going to cost a bunch. Never thought about a Cummins, how would it adapt and fit with all the gauges and such?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 PM
International Threat

It's probably going to cost a pretty penny. If you've never done something like this, or really any major modifications similar you'd probably be better off having someone else do it for you.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Banned

I dunno......

Man I wouldn't jump to the conclusion you need a new motor just yet. I would fix/get a new air box. I have heard of some outlandish garbage coming from shops. There are other things that can cause an engine to miss!! I might fix the airbox and at the very least take it somewhere else without mentioning what the other shop said. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and go buy a friggin motor!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:46 PM
International Threat

^ good point +1 actually
Old 10-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Jon

Blow bye!

You can tell on the 7.3's when the motor is on its way out just bye taking the filler cap off while running. I have seen some go along time like that but more often then not its a big problem. The turbo is the easy thing to replace but if dirt got into the turbo there is a 99% chance it dusted the cylender walls. Now we have done several complete rebuilds at our shop recently because Ford just released the 7.3 rebuild kit. Great kit. We have a local machine shop to all the special work. On the 3 we have done it averaged about $1500 less then a crate motor. They all had over 400,000 miles. If it's an early 99 it is a little different then the rest but the main engine will work either way.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

Granted, he does have a decent amount of miles on his truck. But for what it's worth, I would NEVER take my truck to a shop because it wasn't running right, let them tell me that I needed a new engine because it was dusted, then just take their word for it. Simply put, you'd have to be a fool to drop 6-10k on a new engine on one shop's diagnosis. I have seen this happen multiple times before where shops told guys they need a new engine, tranny or even both and it turns out they end up getting a second opinion and finding out it wasn't anything really serious, or nearly that expensive.

Get a second and even third opinion before spending that kind of cash. Just my two cents worth.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Second opinion

I am going to get it and see how it runs. It has a little smoke come out of the filler tube, but if it has plenty of power I think something else could be wrong. I will know more Wednesday night. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Jon

Rest assured!

That is the case everytime!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.