HPOP oil pressure pressure Sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP oil pressure pressure Sensor

Does anyone know what the sensor is located right behind the alternator in the block "left side of the engine". Is it the HPOP oil pressure sensor? What ever it is, It leaks oil and and when I pulled the plug on top the connecton was filled with oil. Does anyone know anything about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok so I found that the sensor is the ICP. But should the connection have oil in it? Could any one help me with this. By the way Maintian I found that the HPOP O ring is leaking. I just do not Know if i should try to replace it or take it to the shop. Does any one know what the cost is to have this done?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:05 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Sounds like your talking about the 7.3 if the ICP is where you described. The ICP on a 6.0 is under and behind the turbo and Marc has said that one wat they fail is to leak and like you stated, oil gets inside them and shorts them out.
I wasn't aware the 7.3 has a HPOP?
I'm a little confused here.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Maybe I'm confused. I haven't done alot of messing with Diesel Engines. My truck is a 99.5+ model and I thought that it has a HPOP. Just below the bottom and back of the fuel filter housing something is leaking oil doesn't seem to enogh too acount for all the oil I'm loosing but it is difinitely leaking oil. It could be that I'm not seeing it at high RPM's. What ever it is can any one give me advise on How to Fix this. I'm not scared to get into it and I have my work truck to get around in so it can be down for a while with no harm done but if won't cost a bundle I might just let a pro do it so I don't have to worry about it.

Last edited by SouthernSmoker; 10-24-2006 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:00 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I'll have to let a more experience 7.3 person address this. I don't think the 7.3 has a HPOP for the injection like the 6.0. Thats the biggest design flaw the 6.0 is having and it's a new design as far as I know.
I'll be interested to watch this thread for more info too.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here is a link that shows the sensor I am talking about http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...&subcat1=73203
Old 10-24-2006, 05:54 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The 7.3 has an HPOP.

If you're leaking oil BEHIND the fuel filter it is most likely turbo Orings. If your HPOP has a line that is leaking, it shouldn't be difficult to fix that. It's either a #5 or #6 Oring and a little locktite. Only thing is you need to remove some of the fuel lines in order to get to two of the ports and then you have to MAKE SURE you put the springs and plastic pieces back how they were. I did this by setting them aside in order.

Where do you live? If you're closeby I could come by, if not I can give you some more info if you're interested.

Clay, the "design" flaw is the HEUI system. Back in 2001 the Duramax, then in 2003 the Cummins went to common rail. Ford is doing that next year for the 6.4L. While to a degree this is a power limitation, this "design flaw" actually saved my motor when I had this HPOP leak because it shut the truck off when it didn't have enough oil to supply the injectors.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:56 AM
International Threat

After looking at your picture, I can tell you that I'm not sure how oil got in your ICP sensor. I know it helps the PCM determine the oil pressure, but I don't think any oil actually passes through that area. I could be wrong on this part.

However I can supply you with a photo of my HPOP and fuel filter that isn't so dark that probably looks more like yours. Hang on...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:01 AM
International Threat

My faulty Oring

Hpop bottom left, Fuel filter top middle.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you maintian But I'm way down south Birmingham Al. Where I'm seeing oil coming from is if you look at the fuel filter housing then look at the back of that and down to the bottom there is a circular "thing" with a C clip pressed into it. Looks to me like its right at the botom of the HPOP It is very clean with oil seeping out of it. Maybe this enogh info. It is not at the back of the engine it is at the front. Agian thanks for all the info
By the way you have covinced me to go for the DIY tymar Intake If I wanted t go with the Intake hose you mentioned in your write up wich size do you think and will it help with restricton?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.