intermit shut off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question intermit shut off

Hate to bring it up again. Mine sounds the same as some others but different I know you guys are h#ll on the cps's but not so sure its my problem. I bought the truck in 10-04 in texas with 70k from a toyota dealer over the net. Some moron traded this beast in on a toy truck I made it 70 miles from the dealer and pulled over in a downpour to get some sleep. three hours later the truck turns but won't start(I had shut it off 4 times before). 24 hours later back on the road to finish my 1500 mile trip home with a $500 repair bill from local ford dealer. broken ground wire in fuse box under dash(tells me 02's had windshield leaks drivers side and someone had box off to dry it out and broke the wire ) toyota dealer paid bill I got 18.5 mpg going home 75mph with cruise on. I have 80k on it now and best mpg lately is 16. average 12 and am down to 9 in the winter. it shut off twice in one day in june 05 and now in the past three weeks it seems i can't go more than 10 miles without it stuttering breifly of it just shuts off without warning. once sitting still, on the pedal on the highway, coasting down a hill (no common factors) twice the emisson light came on till motor was shut off then it clears. when on the highway it will restart itself by the time i get it into nuetral, other times it starts on the first crank but twice it took several times to fire. it sounds electrical to me I replaced all filters on breakdown in TX and again this fall and cleaned some sand out of the fuel bowl also. I drain the bowl for water every month or so.
Any new ideas? too cold to waste time under the hood now and too cheap to waste money at the dealer. might have to wait till it dies so they can't say "there's nothing wrong,that will be $500, have a nice day!"
Does anyone know of a code scanner thats worth the money? I don't mind spending the money but hate buying crap that doesnt get the job done.
Also thinking of buying a chip and exhaust to fit my ego anyone getting much mgp improvement with theirs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Welcome to the forum PAredneck!! I see that you put this post under the 99-03 category, but what year for sure is your truck? You mention a cps which i'm sure you mean a Cam Position Sensor, right? I don't think that's the problem, as once that thing goes bad it's not going to go until you get it replaced. I have used my old superchip to read my DTC's, it has each code listed in the instruction manual which is a big help. As far as a chip goes, the superchip is great, and i'll sell it to you if you want it because I have no use for it since I got my TS chip. I picked up a couple of miles per gallon in the economy mode, but I was always hungry for the bigger power level which still offers better mileage than stock. $225 it's yours w/free shipping. I have a magnaflow exhaust on my truck which has a tremendously awesome sound, great fit, great price. Just don't get bully dog, i've heard they have a terrible fit... And banks is good, but I could never find one under 500 bucks. Paid 410 for my magnaflow...
Old 12-12-2005, 04:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry stroker, it was a long day.
Its a 2002.
Know of any websites I can look at that have your superchip on it so I can take a look.
This is MY first diesel, so I'm new to the aftermarket scene. I ran some diesel equipment and had some experience with them in the army , so I know a litttle. Enough to be dangerous!
Guy down the street has a 02 also, said he would lend me his chip to see how i like it (not sure what it is) Also a friend has a 99 dually and just put a six-shooter in and now he slobers when he talks about his truck ( and thats all he talks about)
I got to get the shut-off problem fixed before I go lookin for a chip. Hopefully after christmas. I'll keep you in mind. Thanks!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 00powerstrokin
welcome i have a 2000 powerstroke and mine was shutting off once or twice a week, and then it got so ad it was everyday. i replaced my cam sensor and it was fine. got one brand new on ebay for 45$. ford wants 120$. but u can't be sure without checking the codes.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info nut(not going to ask about your name..ha)
How did you know it was the cps? Garage or did you scan it yourself and what did you use?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:12 PM

ijust went off of what i heard frome everyone else. i didn't get a code from the scanner. i just drove me crazy so i figured that that was probably it. it was, i haven't had any trouble since then.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM

the name is just what my buddies called me in high school, it just kinda stuck with me. no reason for the name . lol
Old 12-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks again nut!
i might give it a go if i don't find anything else.
i just went for a 8 mile ride to see a customer and the S.O.B. did it again
guess the name could be worse........like nonut....lmao cheers
Old 12-13-2005, 06:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Yeah PAred you can check out Superchips.com, or go to just about any diesel site you can find and they should have plenty of information listed for you to view. Any questions just post or hit me with a pm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.