Low pressure high duty cycle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low pressure high duty cycle.

Hellomand thanks in advance for any help! I have a 2003 7.3 excursion 4x4 with 74300 miles. At about 68-70K it developed a oil and fuel leak. I resealed the HPOP and fuel bowl. About a week later the CEL came on with a P1211,1212code. It ran fine and everything appeared to be w/i perimeters so after some research i figured id just reflash the computer( superchip came with the truck and in tow safe mode) couldnt find the cord but it drove fine so I didn't do it until recently and had no change. A few months ago after towing the boat it would barely,make it up the hill. Duty cycle pretty much hit 64.7 % and stayed there pressure never rose above 1800. It is totally gutless under load or up hill and dies under braking while going down hill. So,far ive- Resealed the fuel bowl,HPOP. New injector orings,new ipr,icp,cps.im getting low pressure- less than 1800 psi according to the icp sensor( new and old) , and a very high duty cycle from the ipr 64.7%, after replacing the ipr the pressure would not build above 1800 whereas the old unit was giving me at least 2600-2800. I cannot tow the boat, it has very long 10-20+second 'crank times it has died about a dozen times but only while going downhill under a braking application. Sometime it starts fine other times it is a very very long crank, it is not a consistant issue but its usually when warm. Oil has less than 1000 miles on it 15-40 delo with new fuel and oil filter. No visible oil leaks. I finally had to take it to a mechanic and they said that fuel pressure was 68-75 with spikes to 120. FRP in fuel bowl does not appear to be side loaded or have aftermarket springs/ shim. How do I get my truck back to functional shape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Slayvok For This Useful Post:
JohnnyBeGood (11-29-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone? I've already spent close to a grand the last thing left is the hpop. But I'd rather not have to replace it if its just going to be a trouble shooting hunt.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pull your ICP plug and then see what your HPOP pressure is. It should default to max. If your not achieving this then your HPOP is indeed bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, I'll give this a try. Just to confirm tho the ICP? As I understood it the icp measures pressure in the passenger head and if unplugged will send the pcm into default mode of 750ish. The ipr regulates the pressure and I thought if that was unplugged it would dump pressure as it is normally open. I'm willing to try anything as all diagnostic test are coming back with no results. I may have forgotten to mention that I can pull the 1211 code but it was doing this before When i was still building pressures in excess of 2800, ( 7.3 max is 3k while the 6.0 is 3500). I will be able to pull the plug tonight and ill let you know what happens. Thanks for the help
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayvok View Post
Ok, I'll give this a try. Just to confirm tho the ICP? As I understood it the icp measures pressure in the passenger head and if unplugged will send the pcm into default mode of 750ish. The ipr regulates the pressure and I thought if that was unplugged it would dump pressure as it is normally open. I'm willing to try anything as all diagnostic test are coming back with no results. I may have forgotten to mention that I can pull the 1211 code but it was doing this before When i was still building pressures in excess of 2800, ( 7.3 max is 3k while the 6.0 is 3500). I will be able to pull the plug tonight and ill let you know what happens. Thanks for the help
Pulling the ICP should make it go to 2000, but that number is relative since the ICP is unplugged and no longer read actual pressure. PCM has a set voltage it tell the IPR to open 75% or something. So roughly 2k psi or so.
Max psi is not 3k for a 7.3. My 15* HPOP hits 32-3500 all the time. Got the AE data logs to prove it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.