clutch fan - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
clutch fan

i was wondering, it been in the 80/90s lately, and i noticed my clutch fan like to kick in alot going down the highway/in town, is this normal for the 7.3? seem to engage more than the gas motors i had before it, so does the 7.3 run hotter/set to engage earlier?

i do alot of running at 75-80 if that matters, there is no back and forth play in the clutch fan/ resistance when off, thermostat is a new ford oem with rotella elc(none of the temps are high according to my torque app)

seem to kick in alot running both in town and on the highway, and i know these are mechanical clutches(no electrics)so i don't think max a/c would cause it,
and all this is running empty

thank-you

usually when my clutch fans go bad there was either play in them or they didn't kick in anymore lol, so this one has me for a loop on whether its good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, the cooling system in these trucks is so over-engineered and that clutch is rarely noticed. At 75-80 you don't need a fan at all.

The test is really, are you ever seeing high temps?

You could also try feeling the resistance to turning when cold (there will be considerable resistance) and compare it to, as hot as you think it gets. Not sure how useful that is, it's gonna be hard to judge it's actually hot enough for the clutch to start locking.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

i can tell its locking at 75mph lol, you can here it kick in when i put my foot down to pass, the fan isn't exactly the quietest at 2500rpm or so lol, usually unlocks a few miles down the road, then does it again on and off threw my drive home(about 50 miles on the highway)

guess ill run my scanner program and see what temps the engine is reaching in the day, just more surprising since i don't have trailer on it, it shouldn't be getting that hot i would think....

also i just replace the fan clutch on my 88 bronco, and the resistance is about the same when the engine is off and cold on both vehicles, not sure when the engine is hot though, was quite today running around town in the mid- low 80s, so i think it just engages more when its 90+ outside. but i have ran other gas trucks in 90+ degree weather(oklahoma for example/south texas in august) both fords and have never engaged as much as this diesel lol.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't think I've ever noticed noise form my clutch engaging (not like heavy trucks where you can't miss it!), maybe I'm not paying enough attention

As I said, I'm not sure when you could know the temp was enough to engage it and try to compare the resistance. I would Not think at 75mph the fan could actually be needed (how much more airflow could it be adding?). There are posts I've read, from people in hot regions of the country, who talk about removing their fans all together and not having Any Problems, even in Traffic!!!

A note on the scanner, I know the AE I use does not accurately give coolant temp reading, and I think the gauge in your cluster is actually giving you Oil temp readings (in an Auto truck). So, if your scanner gives you suspicious temp readings you might not believe what you're getting.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's my impression that oil temp is the most accurate you can get on these things, and it's the only one of real concern on the engine anyway. At cruise, in 95-100* days, I see around 185* oil temp. If you're below 200*, I wouldn't be too concerned. Are you sure you're hearing the fan and not the AC compressor?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
It's my impression that oil temp is the most accurate you can get on these things, and it's the only one of real concern on the engine anyway. At cruise, in 95-100* days, I see around 185* oil temp. If you're below 200*, I wouldn't be too concerned. Are you sure you're hearing the fan and not the AC compressor?

yes its the fan i know the difference between the a/c compressor and fan clutch when its locked vs free spinning, those are are 2 very different sounds, Ive replaced about 2 or 3 now due to said reasons above, but never replaced one because it engaged to much lol.

was more curious weather it was normal or not?

(same sound btw when i am in the big truck and the fan kick on or i switch the fan on with the switch on the dash)

I am going to run my torque app next week and see what my trans temp and oil temp is on the drive home and see if it is engaging at the same temperature(give or take),

sounds like mine is just getting wore out at almost 128k miles because sounds like most of yours are quiet/free spinning most of the time lol
Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

With the varying levels of experience around here, I had to ask. Mine is pretty quiet. I hear it engaging on long climbs and at low speeds, but not as a normal course of behavior.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
With the varying levels of experience around here, I had to ask. Mine is pretty quiet. I hear it engaging on long climbs and at low speeds, but not as a normal course of behavior.
its all good and yeah that part of the reason i think it might be going out, but we will see
Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

morning
ning

evening

not to sure if temp are in line and since there is no coolant temp sensor, looks like it might be kicking the fans on for my trans, hotest temp the engine oil got was 217 and trans was 187

are those good or bad temps? has high and low on the guage

looks like the trans is in check with this chart online
Old 09-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

EOT and TFT both look high to me on your afternoon image. I've seen over 200* EOT once, and that was a hot day that found me romping a lot. I don't recall for sure, but I think my TFT only hit about 180-190* that same day. Something is making your truck run hot. Since your EOT is up there, your TFT will be as well (being cooled with the coolant and all).

If you're chipped, go back to stock and see what that does for you. It could also be a clogged radiator, bad thermostat... Things that can make a truck run hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.