No Throttle Response - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Throttle Response

Hi all, very new to diesels but not mechanics...changed my oil and filter yesterday also changed oil in the HPOP reservoir...restarted okay and drove the truck a few miles. This morning truck stated normally and I took of for the market...got 2 miles from home and the truck did not respond to the throttle, nothing. the truck would idle only...so I idled home. Truck sitting in driveway and will start and idle and is smoking. Never smoked before. HELP, what is going on and what can I do to get the truck on the road now.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There's a common problem with the TPS sensor (you didn't tell us what yr your truck is, some more prone than others) where the PCM isn't "seeing" the changes in the pedal position.

The TPS (throttle position sensor) is located at the top of the pedal, make sure it's plugged-in tight (maybe un/re plug it).

There is another common issue where the OD sw wires (under the column cover) get chafed, short to ground, and blow the fuse that's associated with the TPS also. You'd probably find the gauge cluster is dead too though.

Here's a good link, remember that depending on the yr it might be a different fuse location than 45 (like 19).

https://b7445ba3-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0
Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question No Throttle Response

Hi,
My truck is an early 99 7.3 crew cab long bed 4 x 4 the truck is completely stock. I did change out the TPS and had no effect.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 AM

I guess I would start with fuel delivery if you changed that filter too maybe. Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?

It's also a good idea to go THOROUGHLY thru the fusebox.

BUT, for the most part, the days of "well,,, it's gotta have something to do with the XXX system" are pretty much gone. Today it's all about "1's & 0's" flowing thru the PCM, and, I'm afraid that's where we've all gotten accustomed to going next

It's time to get it on a diagnostic tool (professional scanner) and monitor what's going on.

Is the PCM seeing a TPS change?

What do the sensors see from the HiPres oil system?

That kind of stuff...
Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do not have a scanner...I did not change the fuel filter this time but I did drain some fuel out and the fuel looked fine, no water or other junk. It seems the AE scanner is the one most everybody uses...where do I get one?
I did pull each fuse, one at a time and inspect it...even tried a new fuse in #19...nothing changed.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will try draining more fuel out...and listening for the 'bump"...I'm away from my truck until the weekend so doing these things after work is something I cannot do.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 AM

Riffraff Diesel: AutoEnginuity Total Ford Enhanced Bundle<--link this is where most people get it, but just google AE scanner to find more...or check in Here and see if anyone has one close to you to scan for beer/cheap
Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 AM

The AE is an excellent choice, for now & the future
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Look for the fuse for the TPS circuit. It may not be 19. Some years of 7.3's are different.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.