Is this Turbo Surge? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Surge question

Im not too sure if this question belongs in this forum, but i'll ask it anyways. When accelerating hard, I notice that my boost needle bounces around as my boost numbers raise. The needle however doesnt bounce around at low boost numbers. Am I experiencing "turbo surge" or is that something else?
What is your definition of "turbo surge" anyways??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2006, 04:08 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have your boost fitting in the aih or do you have it t'd into the map line?

After reading previous posts concerning this topic you should probably be feeling turbo surge and if not at least hearing it. It'll sound almost like air is being compressed and released repeatedly. Typically this will show the worst under 2000 rpm at WOT while towing but this isn't definate.

Last edited by Marty; 10-19-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
Do you have your boost fitting in the aih or do you have it t'd into the map line?

After reading previous posts concerning this topic you should probably be feeling turbo surge and if not at least hearing it. It'll sound almost like air is being compressed and released repeatedly. Typically this will show the worst under 2000 rpm at WOT while towing but this isn't definate.
Yeah, Maintain thats a great way to explain turbo surge I have it horribly bad right now with my turbo...just has the banks wheel pushing 27-28lbs gettin ready to order a new turbo soon(this is kinda off topic but would the ats compressor and banks exhaust houseing be a good efficent set up?)
Old 10-19-2006, 05:19 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
03F350 - - Turbo Surge will destroy your turbo! Not sure about the efficency of that setup. What kind of turbo are you getting? If it is a garret bb or turbonectics you plan on upgrading to, you may want to PM csipsd about it.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
03F350 - - Turbo Surge will destroy your turbo! Not sure about the efficency of that setup. What kind of turbo are you getting? If it is a garret bb or turbonectics you plan on upgrading to, you may want to PM csipsd about it.
Yes I know that is why im planing on getting a diffrent turbo very very soon im looking for the most effiecent tubro but also cost effective...
Old 10-19-2006, 05:30 PM
The Fat Mod

Alot of times I will get the surge when pulling a hill in 5th( or 6th, whatever you want to call it.) Thats when I see it the most.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 AM

ok im confused i dont know if the sound im hearing is turbo surge, compressor surge, turbo stall, or just the normal wastegate blow off, this video link is a video of the sound instead of trying to explain it ill let you listen for yourself you need to turn it up to beable to tell between engine noise and the turbo noise the description next to the video explains whats goin on. plz help im not wanting to drop 1500 on a new turbo..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6JXQg1gTQM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.