Occasional non start condition - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Occasional non start condition

Hello fellow powerstrokers,
I have a 2001 Ford Excursion, the truck had sat for a long time before I started driving it, now after driving it for a few days it has shown that it will occasionally not start. This happens after it has sat it least 1 hour. The fix is to open the drain on the fuel filter housing and let some fuel drain out while someone is cranking the starter. I opened the fuel filter housing and looked in there when the truck was not starting and there was plenty of fuel in the canister. It does this every couple of weeks and have no idea on how to fix it.

Some have said there is a check valve in the fuel pump mounted on the frame rail and there is a check valve that sticks in there, thus allowing fuel to drain back into the tank creating an air pocket in the fuel system. But since there is no way to prove this I am not signed up to this theory.

I had the truck scanned by a mechanic and there was no codes stored in the system. It passed KOEO and KOER, all the injectors were checked with the buzz test and so has the fuel pump. So no idea what to check next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

check oil level?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

changed the oil

Thanks for the response. We changed the oil and made sure it was at the proper level.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

CPS, they have been know to have random failures. They willl work, then not work, then work again. There is a check vavle in the fuel filter housing. It is in the center black tower in the hosuing. I gut the check valve. The only reason it is there is so that the engine will not run without the fuel filter. You have to take the filter out, and remove the fuel heater to get the black plastic tower out. Then pull the tower gut it and put it back. There is an oring on the tower the can be replaced if bad, but most of the time they are okay. Just remember to put in a fuel filter before replacing the cap on the housing. If you buy a filter with the lid attached then you never have to worry about it. I have never had a probelm with gutting the check valve. You also might want to check the fuel fitting at the heads. They have check valves built into them and have been known to plug. They do get a lot of crap in them over the years.
-Jacob
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
CPS's fail as they get Hot. A No-Start after an hours rest is NOT a CPS.

Either you have a tremendous coincidence with the fuel draining and all or, possibly it's just about the extra cranking. If the bowl is full I don't see how it's a delivery problem...

Have you ever checked the oil level in the HOPO res when it does this? As soon as you know it's not starting normally, take the plug out of the top of the reservoir and "dip" it to see if you've got engine oil at @1" below the top.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update

UPDATE:
Today it wouldn't start no matter what I did, so I started digging and found an alarm with the kill switch tied into the ignition. Removed the alarm, put the wires back together and it started right up. Not sure if it was coincidence or if the alarm has been the problem the whole time. Will Keep you guys updated.

I would need more help to do the below, can you send me a picture of the plug you are referring to:

Have you ever checked the oil level in the HOPO res when it does this? As soon as you know it's not starting normally, take the plug out of the top of the reservoir and "dip" it to see if you've got engine oil at @1" below the top.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima4855 View Post
UPDATE:I would need more help to do the below, can you send me a picture of the plug you are referring to:
In the lower right-hand corner you'll see it labeled "HPOP PLUG". It's an allen, not sure of the size, but make sure it fits well and hold it at the right angle so it doesn't slip because they're usually Tight!
Attached Thumbnails
Occasional non start condition-7.3sensors.jpg  
Old 08-18-2013, 03:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

[QUOTE=NoRalPh;6318170]CPS's fail as they get Hot. A No-Start after an hours rest is NOT a CPS.

Not always, CPS failure can be intermittent (spelling?). I have had many 7.3 PS's that have sat in my driveway for a few days that wouldn't start. Replaced the CPS and fired right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.