no start head scratcher - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no start head scratcher

Hey guys.. I need some ides on this 7.3 in my shop. It's an 02 F350 with 295k on it. The customer says it had been running rough/missing but would start and run. One day about 2 mos ago, he had it running and it shut off and would not re-start. I towed it in to my shop yesterday, charged the battery's and tried to get it going, but no dice. It cranks like it's out of time/ no compression. I gave it a squirt of WD-40 and nothing. We then pulled the intercooler pipes to find one of those tornado vortex things stuffed into the spider and it had broken into pieces. We pulled the spider to chase the chunks of stainless for the tornado and found a couple chunks laying on the screens in the intakes. while we had the straight shot at the ports, we tried another shot of ether and it didn't even make an effort to cough. Thinking it had maybe bent the pushrods, we pulled the covers only to find everything to appear normal. Everything moves as it should when cranking, but still turns funny. Is it possible that the rings went dry from sitting for 2 mos to create this sound of no compression? I don't have a compression gauge for a diesel so that hasn't been tested. Thanks in advance for any help! Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really, ether? You say you are a professional mechanic? You don't use ether in these engines. A quick way to crack a ring or a piston is to use either in an engine with glow plugs. Where are you located, becuase I don't ever want you to touch my truck or any of my clients trucks. If you don't know how to work on a diesel then you shouldn't do so. There are a few possibilies on what the problem could be, but if someone posts the fix for you are you going to pay them a portion of what you are charging your customer? This is a forum to help those who want to turn wrenches themselves, not a shop that doesn't want to pay for manuals. It's too bad your customer doesn't know you put ether in ther 7.3 because they cant hold you responsible for any engine damage that you have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.