Possible hole out?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 06:38 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Possible hole out??

I'm hoping I'm just paranoid - but recently the truck just feel's a little off to me?
What I've noticed:
1) slight engine (and yes - verified it was engine only) vibration between 1300 to 1700'ish RPM.
2) Fuel economy has plummeted down to 11mpg (from 16mpg normally)
3) Used to cruise the highway at 70mph at about 1700, now - it's closer to 1900/2000rpm
4) I know the diesel cackle of a 7.3 at idle - but I swear it's louder than usual recently, especially on the drivers side. And at idle - I 'think' I hear a tick, that's louder than the injector solenoid.

No Codes or CES/CEL's being thrown and already checked the harness.
EBPS tube cleaning is on my to do list, (although I think irrelevant at this point)
But I'm wondering if based on those symptoms if it sounds like I may have a hole out (injector failing?)

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by AzPatMan; 08-15-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sounds like my truck, for the past 2yrs...
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Patrick, I have a buddy that has a injector tester that we could hook up to your truck... I could see if I could borrow it.?.?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coassist73 View Post
Patrick, I have a buddy that has a injector tester that we could hook up to your truck... I could see if I could borrow it.?.?

Definitely dude! I know I'm also about due for an oil change - so I want to get some new oil in before doing tests.
Was going to see about gett'n Jeff (Rattlesnake18) to bring the AE Laptop with him to pull data as well at the next G2G next week.

But if you can get your friends before then - that'd be great.

Last edited by AzPatMan; 08-15-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could be something as seemingly small as the fuel filter. I know mine starts cackling louder and putting out more smoke when my filter is dirty. Dirty fuel filters also cause the engine and transmission to have to work harder, which drops mileage. I'm not sure how the OD works on the transmission, so I'm not sure whether that is causing your higher RPMs at the same speed.

I know you just put those gauges in, where did you tap the power from? Did it start before or after?
Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Patrick, If you can drive to Aurora this weekend I can work something out more then likely for the scanner. SMS me tomorrow before 2pm.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

With your RPM running higher than before, your transmission has to be slipping or the TC not locking. That would cause the MPG drop and could be related to the vibration. What's your trans temp? Also if you have a scanner, check the transmission for codes or slippage. Finally, there is a slight chance that it's the flexplate that's broken and spinning around causing some slip, noise and vibration. Pull the inspection cover and take a look at it.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Premium Starfish Member

well, while I have the truck/trans in Park - I give it a little on the throttle to 1500 for about 10 seconds - and there's a little bit of a shimmy (more than I've seen it do before) to the engine... :/
But - I am due for a fuel filter change now that you mention it Gene - been about 2 years since the last one. I want to do the hutch/harpoon and get a pre-filter kit put on, but that's gonna have to wait a bit.

Jeff, how's Sunday looking for you?

As for the gauges - I don't have the EGT tapped into the manifold yet - that was something I was going to try and do this weekend.
But the trans gauge is hooked up - and I haven't seen it get above 160* yet. So, I'm not sure if I have the sensor all the way in getting splashed by the fluid enough to get a proper reading (unless that's where it should be for normal cruise temp?)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Sunday is a no go. I will be out scouting camping spots. txt me tomorrow and maybe we can figure something out. If you can do casa bontia I will more then likley have access to the scanner then.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Give me a time for C.B that you'll be up there - or shoot me a text when you're on the way up there. I'll be in the area actually helping some friends move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.