Yet Another CPS Thread....food for thought - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yet Another CPS Thread....food for thought

My truck recently started randomly shutting off and was progressively doing it more and more often. The truck had the recall done 4 years ago to install the improved grey CPS. Back when it was installed, I noticed that my TS HUD RPM reading while at idle would lock on a number anywhere between 700-1100rpm and would not fluctuate until revved past the number. I never really paid this much mind as the truck ran alright but always had the surging/miss at idle and mileage decreased. Since this latest issue, Ive been reading up on everyones opinions and experiments with the different CPSs and the conclusion I have come to is that the original Black(big magnet) CPS is MUCH better than all the rest minus the fact that it will leave you stranded when it fails. Coming to this conlcusion, of course I immediately start searching for a genuine International black CPS but they are LOOONNNGGGGG gone so I start searching for alternatives and found that the aftermarket companies are still manufacturing black CPS replicas. Im not one that would usually purchase anything other than OEM parts in this case but at just $22 shipped for the Standard Motor Parts PC139 sensor(what I read to be the best of the aftermarket options) I decided it was worth a try AND............................................... .... My rough idle is gone, truck runs smoother and stronger, sounds much better when the converter is locked and you load the motor at low rpm, the HUD has an accurate rpm reading at idle that fluctuates ~10rpm as you would expect, and I will find out if mileage increase as time passes and of course I still keep a recall CPS in the glove box.

Sorry for the long winded thread but I was pretty excited about this. Hoping my mileage improves considerably.

P.S. does anyone have any experience with any aftermarket black CPS? I cant seem to find any threads where someone has done a PERDELS test on the aftermarket sensors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

Anyone still talk about 7.3s on here?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have the standard grey cps. one of these days ill get a black cps and swap them out. theres a few places i know that have some black cps left
Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
i have the standard grey cps. one of these days ill get a black cps and swap them out. theres a few places i know that have some black cps left
Got a link or phone number?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne5757 View Post
My truck recently started randomly shutting off and was progressively doing it more and more often. The truck had the recall done 4 years ago to install the improved grey CPS. Back when it was installed, I noticed that my TS HUD RPM reading while at idle would lock on a number anywhere between 700-1100rpm and would not fluctuate until revved past the number. I never really paid this much mind as the truck ran alright but always had the surging/miss at idle and mileage decreased. Since this latest issue, Ive been reading up on everyones opinions and experiments with the different CPSs and the conclusion I have come to is that the original Black(big magnet) CPS is MUCH better than all the rest minus the fact that it will leave you stranded when it fails. Coming to this conlcusion, of course I immediately start searching for a genuine International black CPS but they are LOOONNNGGGGG gone so I start searching for alternatives and found that the aftermarket companies are still manufacturing black CPS replicas. Im not one that would usually purchase anything other than OEM parts in this case but at just $22 shipped for the Standard Motor Parts PC139 sensor(what I read to be the best of the aftermarket options) I decided it was worth a try AND............................................... .... My rough idle is gone, truck runs smoother and stronger, sounds much better when the converter is locked and you load the motor at low rpm, the HUD has an accurate rpm reading at idle that fluctuates ~10rpm as you would expect, and I will find out if mileage increase as time passes and of course I still keep a recall CPS in the glove box.

Sorry for the long winded thread but I was pretty excited about this. Hoping my mileage improves considerably.

P.S. does anyone have any experience with any aftermarket black CPS? I cant seem to find any threads where someone has done a PERDELS test on the aftermarket sensors.
Where did you order from?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomer pyle View Post
Where did you order from?
Rock Auto. Always have had a good experience with them.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM

dfuser, they have lots of different parts you wont find elsewhere.

just picked one up yesterday finally it should get here by saturday. ill install it and let you guys know how the truck runs.

truck is currently in the shop for its 2nd water pump in 18k miles. im just jumping for joy....
Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

Who still has Black OEM sensors??????
Old 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.