Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regular miss; suspect injector, need to drive 50 miles to Mech.
I suspect I have a bad injector. Symptoms are:
- At first no CEL or SES light.
- rough, lopey idle on cold start
- blue smoke on cold start, puffs with accelerator, gradually clearing as warmed. No smoke when hot, on or off turbo; load/no load. No smoke at hot start.
- regular miss at all rpm's warm or hot.
- down on power, but still drivable, even on steep grade.
- unburned diesel smell, strong when cold, fades but still there when warm
What I have done: (don't have AutoEnginuity kit yet)
- Checked all connectors to injections system; I pulled valve covers on both sides, reseated the conections under the valve covers and inspected for breaks/burns. Did 50 cent mod as prevention.
- Did not start engine at any time with covers off (I just found out that I could do some injector testing that way)
- After all the above, SES light now activated
- checked for blow-by at oil filler cap - none that I could detect; actually seemed to have a bit of vacuum
What I suspect:
- leaking injector thinning oil on cylinder walls, leading to blue smoke out tail-pipe. As engine warms, more is fuel being burnt rather than washing cylinder. This would also account for strong/weak fuel odor.
- Is this reasonably safe to drive about 50 miles to a mechanic?
2000 F550 SD, stock 7.3 PSD 35' Krystal Koach bus
Last edited by kjurkic; 08-14-2013 at 02:02 PM.