Another no start 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another no start 7.3

I recently purchased a 99 f-250 7.3 zf6 speed early 99 built in 4/98, it is my third 7.3 been running these trucks for over ten years. The truck bogged down and shut down on the freeway, it acted like the fuel filter was plugging so I changed it out, added some Diesel 911 supplement (in case of bad fuel) and primed it up with the old trick of automatic transmission fluid in the filter bowl. It started up and ran fine for two more days, then I was teaching my Granddaughter to drive the truck and she shifted from 2nd gear to o/d by mistake and killed the engine. It has never started again. Here is what has been done so far: Ran codes with a Snap-on reader and cam position sensor was bad, no surprise there, he also double checked the CPS with another Snap-on tool that showed it dead. Replaced CPS, replaced ICP (it had oil in connector) wore the batteries out cranking the engine so they were replaced and still no start. Oil in crankcase and HPOP reservoir full. Checked fuel pressure with gauge 65 psi after filter, checked HPOP with 5,000 psi gauge pressure builds up to 3000 psi then backs off to 2200 psi and remains there while cranking. No blown fuses, no bad relays, tach jumps up to 400 rpm while cranking, wait to start light comes on and cycles off like it should as do all other dash warning lights. I am going to check ohms on the UVCVH harnesses tomorrow, and buzz test soon. Am I missing anything? I never had problems like this with my other 7.3 it only needed 2 CSPs and fuel filter changes over ten years.

Last edited by Moepowerstroker; 08-13-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As far as I understand the IPR is one thing that can cause no start, even if fuel/oil pressures ok from what I understand if it doesn't work the fuel will not get to the injectors, but I am not super experienced with these things. I have been struggling with my truck for a while and replaced lots of parts, which needed replacing, it has improved but still not to my liking. I hope that this helps. Is there any smoke? If none- doesn't sound like getting fuel which would probably lead me to the IPR (it is on the rear of the HPOP(at least on my 95). Hopefully others will help/ offer advice.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do have a spare IPR in an old engine that came out of my other truck, I will check it out since 2200 psi of high pressure is more than needed for starting. There is no smoke when cranking.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update, I pulled out the IDM and did the injector harness ohm test per the GB tech bulletin #103, readings look bad. #2 24.8 ohms #4 4.8 ohms #6 5.4 ohms # 8 5.7 ohms #1 6.9 ohms #3 6.9 ohms #5 0.0 ohms #7 7.3 ohms. This was done with a cheap Harbor Freight multi-meter, which lowest setting is 200 if that means I can divide all the readings by 2 then there is still a major problem with #2 high reading and #5 no reading. Would the failure of those injectors cause the PCM to prevent starting?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The 7.3 PS will run on 4 cylinders, not very well, but they will run. If your HPOP pressure shows 2200 PSI of pressure, then you have more than enough oil pressure to fire the injectors for start. How many miles on the rig? I pull the valve covers off and make sure the injectors are firing while turning over. You will actually see the oil come out of the oil spouts on each individual injector. If you see oil then the injecotr is okay. Also, a buzz test only makes sure the solenoid on the injector is working, it does not mean the injector is working properly. If you have a badly worn injector then the solenoid will not be able to mechanically operate the injector. If you need your injectors rebuilt call Rosewood Diesel. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me on here.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The strange thing is the truck was running perfectly before this happened I am going to pull the valve covers, I was just doing diagnosis first. This truck has 199,000 miles on it, barely broke in for a 7.3.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah, but thats about the lifespan of injectors.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, fortunately I have the spare engine for injector cores.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electrical issue, idm, no start, pcm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.