Need Help!!! Turbo Question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help!!! Turbo Question?

Well guys recently toasted the turbo on my 02 7.3 with a 180k. So my question is do I rebuild the a stock turbo with upgraded ww2. Or is there a better bang for my buck to upgrade the turbo with out changing injectors? I am running a dp tuner f5 switch. Also I mostly tow a 24 enclosed trailer. Thanks for the help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 AM

Well, it depends on your term "toasted".

When I read that, I think the wheels have hit the housing and there is carnage inside. If that is the case, I would consider a 38r or d66.

If toasted means far less like leaking a little oil, and you wasnt having egt problems before, I would think a wwII would be an ok upgrade. Are you gonna rebuild the turbo? After paying labor charges and buying a rebuild kit, you are about half way to a better turbo arent ya?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 AM

I do believe that the egts got way to high to cause the turbo to fail. That's kinda the boat I am in. Do I rebuild or do I upgrade? Just don't want the same problem again and if it means spending a little bit more to get a upgrade then I am all up for it! So the 38r would be a good turbo to replace?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 AM

The towing sounds like it is the problem if you are trying to do it on the hot setting. I would like to tell you that the stock turbo with the ww2 wheel would work excellent (it would definitely help) but I cant be sure. Guys have reported that wheel on a stock charger, cleaning up stage 1 injectors so I would think it would be fine for stock sticks. That said, the 38r or d66 would definitely work amd are the only 2 "bolt on" turbos for a 7.3 that I remember.

If you are curious, call dieselsite and talk to them about the ww2. They have done extensive dyno time with it on multiple combination trucks so they could help better than I can. If I had a scrap stock turbo that needed completely rebuilt and money wasnt much of a problem, I would just buy a better turbo. They have much more efficient exhaust wheels as well that really make differences.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the help turbostang. Looks like I am shopping for a 38r any idea who is going to have the best pricing? Also in need of gauges.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:42 PM

Don't just rely on my opinion man! I would make a few calls and talk to others. I would have thought someone else here would have chimed in.

I honestly dont know on who has the best price. Call dieselsite first. I thought they had a good price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.