Intermittent cutout; PCM reset; codes; NOT CPS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Intermittent cutout; PCM reset; codes; NOT CPS

Alright so I spent three hours searching this forum for exactly what my problem is, and I have had no success. So, I shall begin the tale...

Two days after the purchase of my early 1999 F250 with 204k miles, I drove it for 30 minutes, turned it off, and 20 minutes later it wouldn't start at all. After another 20 minutes, it fired up and I drove it straight to Ford for a replacement Motorcraft fuel filter. It worked fine for a few days, and then wouldn't start again. I called the dealership and did an Oasis report, and it showed that a new Cam Position Sensor had already been installed, but just to be sure, I took it down and they tested it. It passed the test, however, after they returned the truck to me, I didn't make it ten feet before getting an SES light, and listening to my truck struggle to operate on just the left bank of cylinders. They told me to reseat a UVC connection under the passengers side VC.

So I did. HOWEVER I did not check for burnt connections or anything, because I was not well informed.

This did not fix the problem, and I decided to replace the IDM. I ordered a reman'd IDM from Auto Computer Exchange (remember, inexperienced), and this IDM did something very strange. At first, it had the same symptoms (running on the left bank of cylinders only), but that problem soon went away and was replaced with the monstrosity I am currently dealing with.

After that, It would always start fine, running on all 8, and would operate fully in P, N and R. However, when I shift into Drive, and even touch the gas pedal, the engine would either stall completely, or cut down to four cylinders for a second and then come back up. EVERY TIME this happened, I would get a "water in fuel", "service engine soon" and "wait to start" light. I could then apply the gas again and it would accelerate, sometimes cutting out two or three times before I could get up to speed.

So I took it to the shop...

They called me this morning and told me the truck wouldn't start. They pulled out the new IDM that I installed and replaced it with a test IDM, and it started. SO NOW I NEED TO KNOW...

Did I just buy a broken IDM? I am thinking that either I need a new UVC harness, a new IDM, or maybe a PCM or GPR. Here are the codes I pulled with my little cheapo code reader:

P1280: Integrated Control Panel Circuit out of range low
P1249: Wastegate control valve performance
P1670: Electronic Feedback (EF) signal not detected
P0231: Fuel pump secondary circuit voltage low
P0603: Internal Control Module keep alive memory malfunction
P1316: Ignition Diagnostics Monitor Codes Detected

I don't have the tools to do a buzz test or pull codes from the IDM.

I do not want to waste my money, is there anybody who is willing to read this novel and help me in any way? I'm being very descriptive with the hopes that it will eliminate some options.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR WHO EVER HELPS I WILL BUY YOU A COOKIE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm beginning to think I talk too much...

I pulled the right bank UVCH today, and sent the IDM in for a warranty replacement.
Wish me luck...there is a 26 foot cabin cruiser across the state waiting for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
idm, p1316, uvc, uvch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.