2000 F-250 Idle Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F-250 Idle Issues

So I have searched what seems like endless times to find stuff about my particular problem, but have yet to find anything. I just bought my 2000 F-250 and upon buying had the wif light on. No big deal, thought I would change the filter. When changing the filter, found the connector for the sensor was broken along with there being about a 1/4" of sediment at the bottom of the fuel filter bowl. Removed, cleaned, replaced connector, replaced all orings, replaced fpr with one from diesel orings because I broke the old oem one putting the fuel line back on. Anyway after I replace this stuff, my girl is doing this. No lights are coming on and my launch scan tool wont work on this truck. Here is a video of what it is doing.
VID 20130807 162947 665 - YouTube
I did order the Ford bundle AutoEnginuity from RiffRaff and will receive it next Wed. Until then, anyone have any suggestions or run into this before?
Thanks
Garry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No one experience this problem? Finally got my AE today after a bad one and pulled some codes. I have a B1352 Iginition Key In Circuit Fault(which I believe is due to the plastic housing that has the metal finger that detects the key being in). B1203 Fuel Sender Circuit Failure and P0541 Intake Air Heater A Circuit Low.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is a blown up screen shot of the codes I pulled.
Attached Thumbnails
2000 F-250 Idle Issues-f250-codes.jpg  
Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So my idle injector control pressure is around 900 psi when its not loping. When its loping it is spiking up to 2100. Voltage at idle is around 1.30v and spikes to 2.84 when loping. Duty cycle 18.75% at idle then when loping it spikes to 35.84%. Performed the KOEO test and once it backs off the throttle from a higher rpm it just dies. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
WOW! That's Weird

Here's where I would start, take a look at the two sensors that control the HiPres oil system (the IPR & ICP). The IPR is a long sensor, down low in the valley, on the backside of the HPOP and there are two common issues you could look for. One is the wiring at the plug going to it (3-wire) where the insulation cooks-off it and they short to one an other. The second is that the solenoid coil, that slides over the valve itself, is retained by a "tin nut" that can vibrate off and allow the coil to slide-around (it should be firmly held in position to work right).

Next, the ICP (at the inside front of the dr side head close to the IPR & HPOP) has an Easy test. You simply unplug it and the PCM sets a default value for the IPR to run on. Try unplugging it and see what happens...

If neither of these seem out of order, and with the lack of codes, it feels like you're engine isn't getting the fuel delivered it should. Did it do this before you "messed with" the fuel bowl?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply! I gave both a try, still no fix. It was doing it prior to rebuilding the fuel bowl. I was leaning towards fuel as well. The fuel bowl had so much sediment in the bottom of it when I rebuilt it. I just bought the truck, so there is no telling when and if anything was done to it. The fuel pump does seem to be making more noise than I remember them making.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM

There are common issues with fuel delivery in the tank and that's where I'd go next...

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Drop the tank, clean it out, do the mod. Especially if you suspect you've got "crud" in the system
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM

NoRalPh could the op drain the fuel bowl and have someone cycle the key on to see how fast it refills to get an idea of flow? At least before he drops the tank. Not saying the tank mods shouldnt be done though
Old 08-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was planning on dropping the tank anyway, just waiting on strictly diesels kit to come off back order. I was also planning on doing those mods and installing a pre pump filter while I had everything down. I just noticed my fuel gauge is now reading full after the last time I looked at it, it was sitting at a half a tank. I suspect the pickup is broken as well. The prior owner said it runs out of fuel somewhere around an 1/8 of a tank. Are the fuel pumps supposed to make a lot of noise? I dont remember my '02 making so much noise.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
NoRalPh could the op drain the fuel bowl and have someone cycle the key on to see how fast it refills to get an idea of flow? At least before he drops the tank. Not saying the tank mods shouldnt be done though
Sure! That's a good idea too. You could confirm you have fuel delivery to the bowl. The pump will only run for 15-20sec when you first roll-on the key so, do that a few times to know you've filled everything. The yellow lever behind the filter is a drain and a good way to determine how much fuel is in the bowl (it drains to a metal tube against the motor, look over the top of the pass tire). Open the drain lever by sliding it to the side and look for fuel to run out of that tube. Collect it in a container and be sure it's clean & water-free and how much came out. Close it again and cycle the key on for 20 sec. Open the drain again. Collect it again and compare the volume to before. Cycle it again to refill everything.

To the OP - the pump shouldn't be that noisy, I put my hand on it to "feel" if it's running sometimes. The pick-up is prone to cracking and will allow the pump to suck air (That could make it noisy maybe) at @1/4 so, yea, get in there and fix that stuff. If the Gauge is giving you erroneous readings it might be a good time to check out the sending unit at the same time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.